Hey. I'm new here and in need of your help.

Rexus

Greetings to all the guys and girls of this forum. "What does this guy want? Go away." The thing is, I'm not knowledgeable like most (probably all) of you are, and I've missed on plenty of basis education that pumps you with general knowledge: the reason being that I had a condition (hyperhidrosis) during my school years that made everything a mess and rendered me useless and socially decapitated for me to fathom anything. Basically, I want in on knowledge but I've missed out on so much (yet managed to pass the classes somehow), I can't move an inch forward. It's not about having a career as much as it is a need to learn; I don't know how to make up for the lost years. A good start would probably be setting an outline of subjects I need to review to fill my knowledge gap, and I hope someone can help me in that facet: where to start in the maths science? Does reading a general Biology and Chemistry book do a good job at mending the leaks of my lost years? I can pretty much get any book, so please, recommend me some books if you can that would help me cover basic knowledge, and if you can, try to make the recommendations of books that make concepts easy to grasp and have as little errors as possible.

Why help me, right? I'm really hoping you will, because I'm in dire need of it. I'm 21 and I feel I've accomplished nothing so far in my life. Issues are aplenty with me, yes: say I'm working on the PC and this forum now; I'd want to know how this forum was thread, how this mouse cursor gets manipulated and translated onto the screen, how the LCD got to be, how the people behind all these feel like enemies to me because they are advanced and I'm not, how chips are made out of sand, how the hell did people figure this out when I have to read a 500-page book to figure just parts of it, and so on. It then takes a shift to pondering on how humanity advanced, on how I feel I don't deserve any of this because I worked on nothing of it. I pity my nation, my country (obviously not the US of A) because it achieved nothing. I get distracted easily and my mind feels deteriorating and hazy when I work with concentration on something for more than ten minutes. Any cure for that? What about school and universities? How are they organized? How were they built? How is a bridge so mathmetically engineered, it doesn't fall apart? What sort of mathmatics built it? etc.

By now, you've proly figured out that I got some sort of ADD and OCD combo, which leaves me at spot zero however I try to think I've progressed. What's a good learning system for me to follow? Should I read books in set-page increments or based on timed bouts?

You can form a picture now that this topic is a call for advice before anything on how I should be steering my life to satisfaction and self-accomplishment, and what better way to get advice but from the folks of knowledge? A big pile of confusion proly fits the description of me and this topic pretty much. Thanks a lot for any help you'll provide, let alone for reading this thread. Thanks :)

Well, I have a few words of encouragement right here: you can form comprehensible thoughts into sentences and paragraphs, so you're already ahead of most students in the US today.

Another great thing is that you're curious. You want to learn. You're ahead of most people there as well. Now you need to actually learn.

My recommendation would go something like this: get some good books on the basics of various topics you're interested in; you might get a book on computers, for example. Don't worry about concentration. I have a similar problem (I end up thinking about something totally different) and it's not an impediment. If the topic's interesting enough, you'll keep on reading. (That means you should try to find interesting books. Take a look at it before you buy it to see if it's truly interesting.)

Another great resource would be a site like Wikipedia. It's a general-purpose encyclopedia, and it's probably not the most reliable site in the world (anyone can edit it), but it's still of a good quality, and it has articles on anything you can imagine. Browse through a few pages there and see what you learn. It's perfect for people with low attention spans, because each article links to other related articles. If you start wondering about something else while you read, you just click the link to that article.

In essence, I say this: you're curious and you want to learn. Go out and get yourself the tools to do it.

edit: Oh yes, and another resource: us. Go ahead and start threads about any science-related questions you have (in the right forum, of course). We're glad to help people learn science, and we promise not to bite your head off (and if someone does, I'll beat them with a stick - it's my job here). I've learned a lot since joining this site two years ago just by reading the various threads here. Participate here and you'll find that you'll just absorb things as you go.

Hi Rexus,

You've got ADD to, huh? That's cool! It can be fun, can't it? At other times, it can get you into serious trouble (like on the job :mad: ).

You mentioned two fields you seem to be curious about: computers and mathematics. I've got a degree in computer programming and I know a thing or two about computer hardware. I remember the digital design courses (building circuits) was one of the most interesting courses I ever took at university. You might find it interesting too. The text we used was simple, straight forward, and only of mediocer size. I like math too but I suck at it - never got more than a B- in any math course (so no advice from me :) ).

What kinds of things are you interested? What topics get you thinking?

Take the Cap'n's advice and go with what interests you. If you find one book bores you to tears, find another book on the same subject that reads a little easier.

BTW, where are you from?

Welcome my friend, to the show that never ends,

so glad you could attend. Come inside, Come inside.

There behind a glass stands a real blade of grass

Be careful as you pass, move along, move along

Come inside, the show's about to start

Guaranteed to blow your head apart!

Cap'n Refsmmat, thanks for your great post; it makes me glad that some people out there are willing to help me when I won't go out of my way to help anyone (I'll try to change that).

you can form comprehensible thoughts into sentences and paragraphs, so you're already ahead of most students in the US today.

Another great thing is that you're curious. You want to learn. You're ahead of most people there as well. Now you need to actually learn.

This made me a little at rest. Thanks. Sometimes, I feel like I need people to transcribe my thoughts for me like you just did.

As for books on basics, I hear the "For Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guides" are real good; are they? And what basics would fill the void of my lost school years? I'm thinking I need a books on Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History (?), Geography (?)... Anything else? And what are some good books you'd recommend for any of these genres?

On the subject of Wikipedia, it does seem like a great site, though it's a bit too complex for me (concerning where to start). I'll try it out.

As for you as resource, now that I think about it, it is the best form of resource. It's like you're artificially intelligent books :D. Thanks!

On the subject of Wikipedia, it does seem like a great site, though it's a bit too complex for me (concerning where to start). I'll try it out.

Wikipedia is good, because it offers a simple definition in the beginning, followed by a more detailed explanation.

It's a good place to start, and you can always make a post here if you don't understand the details.

Hey gib65,

ADD is annoying indeed, but it's good to know that you can have it and still get a worthy degree (Computer Programming). Well done! I never really got into math to know if I suck or not, but I'm thinking if I can grow roots in basics of math, I might be able to get to the more interesting math subjects. Btw, what courses do you take on Computer Programming? Is CP concerned with the hardware or the programming languages I hear so much about? It sounds real intriguing.

What kinds of things are you interested? What topics get you thinking?

I'm interested in anything science. Now that I think about it, I'm interested in PC and mechanical stuff more than anything else. Also, blowing **** up. It doesn't matter what and how, as long as something is being blown to little pieces of ****. Aggressive I know :D.

As for where I'm from: a little country (10,452 Km squared to be exact) ruined by Israeli and civil wars.

ecoli: I look forward to the show that'll blow my head apart :)

As for books on basics, I hear the "For Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guides" are real good; are they? And what basics would fill the void of my lost school years? I'm thinking I need a books on Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History (?), Geography (?)... Anything else? And what are some good books you'd recommend for any of these genres?

I'm not sure you'd want a "For Dummies" sort of book to catch up on missed education. I would suggest finding a good, large bookstore and just going through their books on whatever subject. They're bound to have plenty, and you'll probably find one that looks interesting. Remember, it's not necessarily what others think about it that counts, it's how interesting it is to you that matters. If you think you could tolerate sitting down with the book for an hour reading, then you could get the book.

And another thing: you don't act like a dummy. Find a book that stimulates your mind, not one that just feeds you information.

Just pick any topic and start reading. You'll end up on a totally different article when you're done (just by clicking on the links), but you'll have learned along the way.

As for you as resource, now that I think about it, it is the best form of resource. It's like you're artificially intelligent books :D. Thanks!

We try :P

I'm interested in anything science. Now that I think about it, I'm interested in PC and mechanical stuff more than anything else. Also, blowing **** up. It doesn't matter what and how, as long as something is being blown to little pieces of ****. Aggressive I know .

I know the feeling. Try finding yourself a book like "How Stuff Works" (I used to love those) and dive in. It's fairly simple stuff, but you can learn a lot out of it.

ADD is annoying indeed, but it's good to know that you can have it and still get a worthy degree (Computer Programming).

There are people here getting physics degrees who have dyslexia, even. If you know how to get around it, you can still succeed.

Thanks again Cap'n Refsmmat; you've been real helpful. The reason that I mentioned the "For Dummies" is because I heard they dissect things into easy-to-grasp constructs. I guess I'll have to browse libraries like you said.

Just pick any topic and start reading. You'll end up on a totally different article when you're done (just by clicking on the links), but you'll have learned along the way.

Good advice.

I know the feeling. Try finding yourself a book like "How Stuff Works" (I used to love those) and dive in. It's fairly simple stuff, but you can learn a lot out of it.

I Googled it and got a How Stuff Works site. It looks real beneficial, and the articles look fleshed out in a more fun way than Wikipedia. Check it out.

There are people here getting physics degrees who have dyslexia, even. If you know how to get around it, you can still succeed.

Cheers :D.

You have a great understanding of the way English is put together and you write well. Communicating this well will really help you learn at a faster pace.

Don't try to learn it all at once. Knowledge is best in chunks you can take in and figure out how they fit with the rest of what you know.

Picking something that interests you will insure that you stick with it and find a lot of practical uses for your knowledge. These days it's not *what you know* as much as *how you apply what you know* that counts.

Ask questions and poke around with our Search function. Have fun, be welcome.

Lebanon, right?

Thanks for the warm welcome PfA.

Lebanon, right?

Lebanon it is.

I was browsing book offerings on various sites like amazon and I came across a series of books called "Science of Everyday Things" that come in 4 volumes: Real-Life Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Earth Science. It is written that every explained concept is further explored in its everday applications. Recommended?

Btw, what courses do you take on Computer Programming? Is CP concerned with the hardware or the programming languages I hear so much about? It sounds real intriguing.

Strict computer programming is concerned mainly with programming languages, of course, but any diploma or degree program will have you take at least a few hardware courses. You could probably get away without taking them, but it is highly recommended that you do as they will greatly help your understanding of how programming languages work. I found programming fun - I think it's the idea that, with a powerful enough programming language under your belt, you can get a computer to do anything you want. But if you're into mechanical stuff, I'm sure you'll find computer hardware fascinating. Look up "logic gates" on wikipedia for a sampler.

Also, blowing **** up. It doesn't matter what and how, as long as something is being blown to little pieces of ****. Aggressive I know :D.

HaHa

• 1 month later...

Strict computer programming is concerned mainly with programming languages, of course, but any diploma or degree program will have you take at least a few hardware courses. You could probably get away without taking them, but it is highly recommended that you do as they will greatly help your understanding of how programming languages work. I found programming fun - I think it's the idea that, with a powerful enough programming language under your belt, you can get a computer to do anything you want. But if you're into mechanical stuff, I'm sure you'll find computer hardware fascinating. Look up "logic gates" on wikipedia for a sampler.

I might be pursuing a degree in Computer Science soon. Since I started this thread I've made a daily schedule and just read without worrying about having to memorize anything. I just wanted to heal my basic knowledge wounds and I feel in a month or two I'll have patched up well. I just wanted to say thanks to all who responded in this topic, and eventhough I am 21 and felt I'm too late, I now think it's never too late to pursue your goals. True I'll have to put off getting married and having kids aside for a few years, but hey, who wants to change diapers at age 25? I know I don't. And since I'm on that subject, at what age would you guys like to get married? Peace and love.