Where to study Computer Science?

BubyDudy

Hello there!

I am interested in studying Computer Science in England but it's like I am "in the middle of nowhere". I went through the UCAS web site and checked every simple CS University. I was mainly checking their courses so I avoid subjects I don't really like (telecommunications, graphics, etc.).

The problem is I can only apply to 6 and my list has about 19 right now. I got some opinions from friends and other students but still I find it really hard to get down to only 6. So, here I am, asking you for help! :)

Some things about me that you may help you give your suggestions: I am really ambitious and ready to work hard. I don't care about student life (in terms of weather, night clubs, etc). I would love to be involved in research AND in the "software vs hardware" I am with the software (meaning I prefer being a programmer than a technician).

Another problem is my marks. Greek system (I come from Greece, forgot to mention) is strange and I don't know what the equations are. I got around 19 in Software Engineering, 16 in Maths & 17 in Physics (don't know if English Universities require any other subjects too).

So, anyone out there with any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

BubyDudy

BubyDudy, how old are you?

My best advice can only be go to the universities you've got short listed, No one can make this decision for you.

Find someone to ask about your qualifications, UCAS or a university should be able to answer you.

@ ecoli: It's ok, no problem! :)

@ Klaynos: I am 18 years old. My shortlist has 19 Universities and I can only apply to 6... I am pretty sure that I have the qualifications for most of them so there is still a problem (in terms of choosing only 6 of them).

take a look at their perspectuses, go to their open days,.

Do you want a uni close to home, far from home?

Do you want a campus or a town uni?

What type of halls do you want?

Do you want a big department or a small one?

Going to their open days is kinda difficult, because I live in Greece and the cost is big...

Every English Uni is far from home too, so I don't care if it is in a specific city.

Never heard about "campus" and "town cities", what's the difference? Same with "halls"...

I don't care about the department's size, as long as the Uni is good for me...

Thank you for your help!

Ah right, sorry I had assumed you'd already moved here.

The deparment size can be important, small and friendly, or big and have experts in everything.

As for town and campus unis, town ones are ones in the middle of towns and citys, campus ones are set on their own campuses and genrally have everything you need on site. Keele for example is miles from anywhere so everything you need is on site...

Whereas Cardiff is right in the middle of the city and has buildings all over the place...

Halls is just short for halls of residance - the university supply halls for 1st year students to live in for the first year, then you're expected to make your own arrangments. Most universities allow international students such as yourself to stay in halls, or they often supply a place for people other than 1st years.

Oh im studying computer systems at Oxford Brookes University In Oxford - http://www.brookes.ac.uk

also University of Exeter is damn good - http://www.ex.ac.uk

Halls is just short for halls of residance - the university supply halls for 1st year students to live in for the first year, then you're expected to make your own arrangments. Most universities allow international students such as yourself to stay in halls, or they often supply a place for people other than 1st years.

Oh im studying computer systems at Oxford Brookes University In Oxford - http://www.brookes.ac.uk

also University of Exeter is damn good - http://www.ex.ac.uk

Some unis offer accommodation for all years and some don't even offer it for all first years...

Oh and exeter seem to be slowly getting rid of the good comp sci staff :@

I'm going through this at the moment, or actually I've already applied a few weeks ago, but I just did it! One thing I found quite useful was to compare entrance requirements. If I think I'm capable of AAA then I'd want to apply for a university asking for around those grades. As a big generalisation the better the university the better the grades it will ask for, so if I'm an A-student then it would probably be better for me to go to a university offering AAB than one offering CCC.

So if I were you then I'd knock a few off if they offer low grades relative to what you think you'll get.

Otherwise if you want to post your list then I can look through them and see what I think of them, I've applied for physics, but when a university is good at once technical/science subject it is generally quite good at others. Or you could PM (private message) them to me if you don't want to list all your unis in public, where the uni could see them.

Also the Time League Table can be useful. See here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

for a subject specific version of the Times League Table:

(non-subject specific) http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html

And obviously there's the two main things:

1) Do you like the course?

2) Do you like the university?