Good books about old stuff

mr d

Hello

Does anyone have recogmendations for books in regards to ancient technology (water screws, levers, aquaducts...).

Spend so much time on modern technology, thought I'd go back and refresh myself on what was designed and invented by past civilizations. Since much of what we use is based on what they had.

Mr D

I actually have a 1927 physics book and boy is interesting to read. It describes everything with examples of how it was done/measured/applied etc.. I've actually learned a lot from it, for instance, how absolute zero was calculated to be -273.15 degrees Celsius. What else is really interesting is how when it refers to protons as "positive electrons" and that "Einstein has recently suggested, however, that matter and energy may be interconvertible, and there is some evidence in favor of this view." This textbook conveys so much information but in very simple language so anyone can understand it.

As far as what past civilizations had I suggest that, if you have the History Channel, watch Engineering an Empire on Mondays at 9 p.m. est. This may seem just like a commercial for the show but I'm serious it is very interesting, they talk about how certain buildings were built, weapons of war, whatever is a symbol for that civilization or was invented by them.