Canada - US Relationship

GutZ

I was wondering what the majority of you folks think about the "increased" relationship with PM Harper and President Bush?

Do Americans really care at all? Is it a big thing or just...Oh gee Canada! Lovely!... -_-

American's like Canadian beer and oil. But, Canadian forgeign policy isn't aggressive enough to attract much attention. Because, we are neighbors, though, a Canadian American alliance is still an important one.

We have an increased relationship with Canada? To be blunt/honest, I really have no idea what you're referring to there, although I admit I've been really out of touch the last two weeks due to the start of the fall term.

Could you tell us more about that, Gutz? I'm always interested in foreign politics.

Canada was a strong liberial voting country, untill recently. PM Harper who was the leader of the Conservative Party (I guess best described as a slighty more left Republican) got in by minority vote (I can explain that further if you need to). Our relationship before with U.S. wasn't very strong but over the past few months there has been quite a few meetings between Bush and Harper.

On a side note though not much really changed, we got involved in Afganistan, but thats about it, we haven't really agreed to do much else with the US, hense the quotations on "increased" relationship.

The economic relations between the US and Canada will always be strong, most provinces have stronger ties with the US than with the rest of Canada (and this, BTW, is a major problem in Canadian politics). The only thing Harper has done is to get closer to the Bush administration in term of foreign policy, and even then, the tone has changed drastically but in practice they are doing exactly the same thing the Liberal Party was doing (... we see the same patterns in environmental policy, Liberals are "green", Conservative don't care about the environment, but in practice, both were/are doing nothing).

So, I agree with you, there's no concrete changes in term of US-Canada relations for now, only the tone has changed.

However, I don't think the Canadian Conservative Party is more leftish than the Republican party, with Harper as their leader they are in fact so similar to the GOP it's hard to distinguish them. Sure, many conservatives (from Ontario/Quebec) are "Progressive Conservatives" and have nothing to do with the social conservatism espoused by Harper, but in a parliamentary system, MPs are pawns and the PM is the king. It's surprising how much Harper's foreign policy, and the way he is doing politics, is similar to "hard core" republican, I guess it's why he's doing so bad in public opinion.

Anyway, I don't see how the Conservatives could win a majority of seats, it's even unlikely they will survive next election.

Idk about you guys but I love Canada:rolleyes:

Well I guess I have to, I was born there.

But I haven't noticed any real increase in relations with them. Maybe a little more talking between countries on terrorist defense "strategeries" and the like.

Idk about you guys but I love Canada:rolleyes:

Well I guess I have to, I was born there.

But I haven't noticed any real increase in relations with them. Maybe a little more talking between countries on terrorist defense "strategeries" and the like.

I was born and raised on the south edge of Erie. It has been quite awhile since I have been to Canada, but the words clean, sane, and boring come to mind.

If anyone is interested my son keeps me awash in conspiracy theories stuff on the coming "CanAmMex Super State" or is it "MexCanAm"? The 'buffs' are all worked up about the political/military Naftacation of Norda Amercia, but I don't think it is bad idea at all.

aguy2

If anyone is interested my son keeps me awash in conspiracy theories stuff on the coming "CanAmMex Super State" or is it "MexCanAm"? The 'buffs' are all worked up about the political/military Naftacation of Norda Amercia, but I don't think it is bad idea at all.

aguy2

lol...that, my friend will NEVER happen. Merging Canada and US is not even close to likely but it is at least conceivable. Merging with Mexico would never happen in a trillion years... I think, any way.

lol...that, my friend will NEVER happen. Merging Canada and US is not even close to likely but it is at least conceivable.

Perhaps it'll never happen, but it certainly make sense from an economic perspective, and from a cultural perspective I also cannot find any rational objection to the merge, as long as Québec is out of the equation.