Strange Road

herme3

There is an old narrow road between my neighborhood and the main road. The road is surrounded by trees, and has many curves. The road is about 2 miles long, and is very dark at night because there are no houses around until you enter the neighborhood.

Anyway, there are many legends and myths about the road. Different people have claimed that the road is haunted. Lots of people talk about a mysterious fog that appears on certain nights, and some people have even claimed to have seen ghosts.

A school teacher who lives in my neighborhood claims that she saw a ghost on that road. She said she was driving home late one night, and a very thick layer of fog suddenly appeared. She then claimed that a ghost of a girl walked in front of her car, and that the girl was wearing a dress from the 1800's or earlier. She stopped her car for about a minute, and she said the girl just stared at her. Eventually, she stepped on the gas and the girl just passed through her car. Almost immediately, the thick fog disappeared.

In the past year or so, I've really dropped my beliefs of the supernatural. I even believe there are scientific explanations for the "ghost" pictures I took in Gettysburg several years ago. Therefore, I am skeptic of her story. I've never actually seen a ghost on that road, but I have seen the mysterious fog appear on some nights, including tonight.

There is a pond by the main road, right before you reach the narrow road I've been talking about. On normal foggy nights, the fog is thick near the pond but it normally clears when I turn on the narrow road. Tonight, however, there was no fog near the pond or anywhere else I had been. After I turned on the narrow road, a very thick fog appeared. I'm sure that it was fog, because it didn't smell like smoke or anything else. It was very thick for a couple miles, but it completely disappeared the moment I turned off the road.

Doesn't this seem a little strange? What causes this fog to occasionally appear, and why is it only on one road?

Well the fog can easily be explained by micro climates. These are where the surounding areas (terrain, vegitation, air passages, preasence/absence of water etc) can change the conditions in a smal area from the larger areas. This occures in cities all the time and the large buildings channel air curnets and trap heat and can make the climte of a city differnet from out side it (generally it is warmer). I have seen this use din botanical gardens to create rainforests where they don't normally thrive and in the real environment in gullies/valleys, etc.

Without going there and doing a survey I can't say with 100% accuracy that this is waht is causeing the mists, but I I am almost certain that this would be the cause of it from the description you gave of the place.

As for the Ghosts, well the school teacjer was traveleing home late at night, and people can fall into a microsleep, even while driving. Also it is posible especially if you are over tiered (like a lot of teachers I know are as they work very hard and long hours)or are woken suddenly then the sleep/wake circuit in the brain can glitch and you can experience strange sensations. These tend to be similar to dreams (ask of the nero scienc forum for better info -I only have a passing knowledge of this) and can include halucenations and "otherworldly" feelings. This effect has been suggested as a posible source for a lot of UFO, Witch and Ghost stories throught the ages.

As for Ghost pictures: I have a Ghost picture of myself! One Christmass (when I was about 12 or so) I was opening presents and my parents took a picture of me. when we got the photo developed I was transparent!, You could see me but you could make out all the details behind me as if I was made of glass. I wasn't moving in the picture, but it did look very strange.

What we reliased later was that I had moved during the photo (I was actually seated in the picture so it reenforced the concept that I was not moving), but it was because the camera glitched and it too 2 quick photos in rapid succession, one before I moved and one after I moved out of frame and the person taking the pictuer had not yet move the camera from taking the pictue (so the background completely lined up).

Peoples memories are highly succeptable to change, each time you remember somehting you actually re-write that memory. During this re-write you will modify you memory unintentionally (it is also posible to do so intentionally). So whay might have just been a vage shape in the mist that caused you to come out of a half sleep and gave you a fright, can eventually turn into a ghost child (you might have initially even thought: "What if that was a child and not an eddy in the mist" to "Somthing that I first though was a child" to "An eddy in the mist that looked like a child" to "A misty child like form" to a "Ghost of a child").

Eventually, she stepped on the gas and the girl just passed through her car. Almost immediately, the thick fog disappeared.

This in its self, especially since it was a teacher (duty of care and all), indicates that this teacher was not acting in a rational way (much like in dreams). I think, most rational people, upon seeing a child wandering around the streets late at night regardless of costume (could have been at a fancy dress party) would at least get out of the car and see if they were lost and where their parents were, not run them down! They would at least back up the car and attempt to go around them.

compare the 2 road surfaces and also compass direction, I think you`ll find they are quite dirrefent.

I`ve seen fog in Very strict paterns before when I lived 130 foot up in a penthouse also ontop of a hill.

roads being the color they area and the material they are do 2 things, they warm up in the sunshine quite deeply too. they`re also porus for the main part and will hold lots of water and moisture.

as the Ambient air gets cold at night, the roads do not, water vapor is given off and condenses along this path, if it were very Windy, you wouldn`t notice this at all.

still, cold, calm nights are ideal circumstances for this, Cannals and rivers will do the same too (think Frisco bay area, Loads of fog there!).

btw, ever looked at clouds and seen shapes like bunnies and faces and cartoon chrs?

same can happen in fog too, esp when tired.

Yep. Further. a steady gentle breeze can move a lump of mist as a whole (rather than dispersing it), so it can appear a long way from where it was formed, but still exist as a bank of mist.

NB. Fog is low cloud, i.e. cloud at ground level. Mist is formes in the ways described above, i.e. it comes up from the ground or bodies of water (I just thought it was worth mentioning :) )