Now THAT was stupid!

In My Memory

Oh great...

Just two seconds ago, I did something bad...

I wanted to make a pasta casserole, but I was washing dishes at the moment and didnt have any baking pans, so I substituted a pot instead. The casseroles are supposed to be covered with tin foil, but I didnt have any, so I just used the lid to my pot.

40 minutes later, I just took my pot out of the oven, and I noticed that the lid looked odd: its supposed to have a little plastic handle on the top so you can grab it off the pot, but instead of finding a handle, I found a melted puddle of plastic on my lid.

And thats not the worst part, when I took the pot out I'm like "oh my god!" and I tried to form the plastic puddle into a pseudo-cap shape before it set permanently. So, trying to form the molten plastic into shapes with my unprotected hands... yeah :-(

My casserole came out fine, except for a chunk of plastic I picked out of it (it melted straight through the screwhole in the lid).

Padren,

Its a good question, but think of it this way: trucks will driven no matter what, even if I dont buy ice. The only thing I can control is how much power I put into my freezer, so the net affect on the environment can be either:

- trucks drive and IMM runs her freezer cold

- trucks drive and IMM runs her freezer very little

IMM, you've completely ceased making sense here... you've made the exact opposite argument about eating meat, and I agree with you on that argument.

Either:

- Slaughterhouses slaughter and IMM eats the meat

- Slaughterhouses slaughter and IMM doesn't eat the meat

While your effect on the system as a whole is negligable, you still have one. Just because the effect is negligable does not mean magic meat out of nowhere... some animal still had to die to get you that meat.

I'm not moving the energy, because the trucks and dry ice manufacturers use the same amount no matter what I'm doing, but overall I'm using less using less of it :)

But that's like saying that the whole system of animal slaughter will kill the same number of animals no matter what you do, so how are you morally accountable for the slaughtering of those animals, if they'd just be slaughtered anyway? It's not magic coolness from nowhere just like meat isn't magic meat from nowhere. Energy is going into the production of that dry ice.

Now granted, the equipment used to cool the dry ice may be more efficient than your freezer, but I seriously doubt the net energy balance you would've gotten out of the whole thing would've been a positive one (had it worked in the first place)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my story (one of countless others) does not involve mixing hazardous chemicals or accidents with household appliance, but it was extremely embarrassing. When I was about 19 or 20 or so, I used to help out a "friend" on occasion by getting autographs of famous hockey players for him. He'd pay me a whole whopping 50 cents per autograph while he'd pocket the rest by selling them to avid fans.

Now I'm not a hockey junky by any stretch of the imagination. The only hockey players whose name I can put a face to is Gretsky and Sakic. Others, like Lafontain and Lemieux, I wouldn't know how to recognize (only their names are familiar to me). So Rob (my "friend") points them out to me, tells me their name, and I got ask for their autograph.

Anyway, there was some big hockey thing going on in Calgary in the fall of '96 (anyone remember what it was?) so all the big names in hockey were there. In a hotel, Rob points out some famous Russian player (whose name I can't remember for the life of me), tells me his name and says to go get his autograph. The guy was going up some stairs and there was another man also going up about half a floor ahead of him. I get the two mixed up - I think Rob's pointing to the other guy. So I go rushing towards the stairs, calling out the name Rob gave me, run right passed him, and catch up to the other guy.

Meanwhile I hear Rob laughing his face off. I look and see him pointing to the actual guy behind me. I look at him and see he's laughing too. "Oh... uh... he he, can I have your autograph, Mr. ____?" I say with a nervous laughter.

He gave it to me anyway, and I got payed my whole 50 cents.

On a side note, about 3 years later, I meet up with Rob at a party, and I hear him talking to some teenaged boys about how much he owes them for the autographs. I hear one of them say "You still owe me $50.00." That's right, $50.00!!! Not 50 cents, not $5.00 - $50.00!!! I asked Rob about them, and he tells me he makes so much more money off them now ever since e-bay came out.

Hell, if I could make $50.00 per autograph, I risk going after the wrong people any day.