Men's Finger Length

Is it true that a man's ring fingers are supposed to be longer than his index fingers?

I was reading an article today which suggested that this was the case. Naturally, being a bloke, I looked at my own hands immediately, but found that my index finger is 2-3mm longer than my ring finger on both hands. It doesn't sound much, but it is actually very noticeable. At first I thought the article was a load of tosh, but I've had a glance at some of my friend's hands and, in line with the research, they all have longer ring fingers.

How unusual is it for a man to have index fingers longer than his ring fingers? What does it mean and what can people tell from it?

you can't always take the statistical studies people report at face value, I know one which I would flat disbelieve or take with grain of salt. i will tell you but you must not take it seriously

it was an italian study IIRC, some years ago, I have no idea how to retrieve it. the investigators thought they found a positive correlation between index finger length and penis length.

that means good fortune for you (if we were to believe the result of the study)

Maybe I am mis-remembering, it was a long time ago. What I recall is not especially consistent with some of the stuff here in these links.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/695142.stm

BBC: A finger on sexuality

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4314209.stm

Finger length 'key to aggression'

(thanks to Cap)

No, this is true. Feel free to Google 'male ring finger length' etc.

"In women, the index and ring finger are roughly equal in length. But in most men, the ring finger is longer. That's a result of fetal exposure to testosterone ... men with more dramatic differences tended to be more aggressive. "

Which, unfortunately means you're a poofter. :D

No' date=' this is true. Feel free to Google 'male ring finger length' etc.

"In women, the index and ring finger are roughly equal in length. But in most men, the ring finger is longer. That's a result of fetal exposure to testosterone ... men with more dramatic differences tended to be more aggressive. "

Which, unfortunately means you're a poofter. :D[/quote']

I didn't realise the fact that a man's ring finger is meant to be longer was so well estabished and grounded in science. The Google search threw up loads of relevant hits. :eek:

I'm getting the distinct impression that it is rather unusual for a man to have noticeably longer index fingers and that it is something I should be slightly embarrassed about!

But do you really think that you can make judgments about someone's sexuality based on their relative finger lengths or were you just being flippant? :embarass:

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly I've recently found out that only around 5% of men have index fingers which are longer than their ring fingers. Obviously mine are a fair bit longer, so I am in a real minority. Do any of the men reading this post have longer index fingers or have friends that do? If so, what do you think about the accuracy of the research on relative finger lengths?

I have to say, in my case I think that most of it appears to be pretty spot on. For example, I have always been a terrible runner, am rubbish at most sports and have poor spatial skills (e.g. map-reading, driving etc).

Are you just doing this by observing your hand? Because if you look at your hand your index will look longer since it sticks out farther. That's what I thought when I looked at mine.

However once I take a ruler and meansure from the base of the finger on the palm side to the tip the ring finger is obviously longer.

Are you just doing this by observing your hand? Because if you look at your hand your index will look longer since it sticks out farther. That's what I thought when I looked at mine.

However once I take a ruler and meansure from the base of the finger on the palm side to the tip the ring finger is obviously longer.

:)

You may have put your finger on an experimental error there! What is the standard way of measuring finger length used in these observations? The worried world must be told.

Measured from the web between ring and little fingers I have:

ring finger 8cm. From the web between ring and middle, I have ring finger at 7.5cm.

For index finger. from web between index and middle, I get 7.4cm.

By line of sight accros finger tips, the difference is 0.4cm in favour of ring finger.

So the actual length of the ring finger is subject to a considerable experimental error depending on point of reference.

Really worried now, should I go for a well-woman checkup?

I'd say the best way to measure is to bend your fingers 90 degrees to your palm and measure from the back of the nuckle.

But yeah what is the accepted way to measure ones finger. Because I get very different ratios when trying different methods.