Arrogance of Youth.

YT2095

Thoughts?
I like reading that, it was very interesting.

I think many youth grow up using modern technology and take it for granted, not appreciating the work behind it.

As humans enter the world of work and see themselves trying to invent and discover new things it becomes easier for them to appreciate the brilliance of modern technology and those who designed it.

Teenagers and college-age adults know everything, and the older folks know nothing. But it's amazing how, after they spend a couple of years out in the real world, how smart the older folks suddenly get.
I think there's a difference in what is meant by "know everything". An average teenager thinks he knows everything about computers because he's up to date with the latest blogs and YouTube. An adult thinks he knows everything because he designed the hardware and software that the teenager is using. So who really knows everything? Whilst the teenager couldn't identify a RAM module, the adult hasn't heard of YouTube.

Of course there are many exceptions to this. One of my Grandpas knows less than nothing about anything modern, whereas the other has spent far too much money and time on his computer. Some teenagers do appreciate just how complex computers are and some olders cannot understand the teenager's world (eg. growing up with and taking for granted computers) and so cannot understand much of the teenage physcology.

"The young people of today grew up with television' date=' jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon, our spaceships have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed processing....and," pausing to take another drink of beer......

The Senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young........so we invented them. Now, what are you doing for the next generation?"[/quote']The younger man is correct, having never experienced childhood as the young man has, the older man lacks something when trying to understand the younger.

The old man is also correct. He did theorise, design and produce the young man's world.

There are two conclusions I draw:

1) The younger generation should realise that the older generation are the reason they are living how they do. Olders made the world as it is. However the olders need to realise that whilst they designed it, they haven't lived it in the same way the younger generation has, so they lack first hand experience when trying to understand the younger generation.

2) Thank you old generation; you have done your work and in time, if not now, we will appreciate it. But now your time is up and it is for the young generation to become the old generation. It's time for the new generation to shape a new future. Now, what are we going to do for the next generation?

I can agree with most sides, but mostly the kid. Old people today don't know WTF is up. Try explaining the Singularity to them. Zuh!

Actually, I've explained to my 80 year old grandfather (who happens to be rather tech-savy) what the singularity is, and he understands it just as well as I do. So, don't generalize!

But, kids I deal with today don't understand pre-Internet life. Ever used a card catalog?

yep... I worked for several years in a library that still uses one. In fact, I had to help make the card catalog.

Ever had to use a REAL encyclopedia, rather than Wikipedia?

yep, many times for school.

Did you listen to your parents record player before you emoed out and bought your own?

yep, I now have a bigger record collection than my parents. I have an mp3 player too, but for music, I mostly listen to lps

I think arrogance is the wrong word to use for whatever quality of youth is, according to some, getting up their noses. Every new youthful experience is a bright new splash of colour on a fresh white canvas that suggests a newly inspired image, and they want to eagerly discuss it and show it off.

My 64 year old canvas is a real mess, but I can look back and identify many of those youthful daubs and the thought adventures that accompanied them.

In a bad mood, I might yawn and say "oh yes, been there, done that, got the teeshirt". In a good mood, as my granchildren re-tread some old paths of my life, I am pleased at how fresh they seem to them. I just know that to fresh eyes the old paths can spring new surprises.

The oldies should quietly encourage the young, but most importantly, try to understand and forgive their occasional daft foibles.

(But then some of the youthful opinions voiced here stretch even my patience past breaking point!)

I disagree with several points here' date='

sometimes it IS hormones!

and yes children DO need us AND to caution them when they do wrong, without that you cannot show love or provide security and stability.

"de-humanise" is YOUR word here, no-one elses, so lord only knows where That came from?

as for the respect, of teenagers, That must be earned, and that applies right across the board (IMO).

being close to your Children is NOT a bad thing, quite the opposite in fact, and no they Don`t hold this picture of you changing diapers when they`re 16, they grow WITH you, there`s no Constant retained like a photograph, that sort of thing only occurs when you`re NOT close to your children! :)[/quote']

Yep....

My dad is 66 years old to my 18 and yet we are closerthanthis. He teaches me and I teach him and although our interests are very different we listen to each other. :)

Bee