Self destruction of aliens.

YT2095 said in post #24 :

the only real separator I can see between us, is GREED!

this is only my opinion, but I see it as well founded based upon a liftime of critical observation.

i would agree... but my cat doesn't like it when the cat up the road enters our yard, and he always begs and whines for a piece of whatever we are eating, no matter what it is... and we all know that war for terratory happens quite a bit among other animals.

we just have excess greed... and arrogance, a lot of arrogance... and fear of loss of status too, way too much fear of loss of status (as opposed to fear of pain)... and when we panick, we like killing, not a good thing....

That's true iglak...maybe it is our intelligence that causes the greed and arrogance. In that case, intelligent extraterrestrials are possibly the same way, and perhaps they will destroy themselves.

If that's true...then it's kind of ironic. Intelligent beings are more likely to blow themselves up because of being selfish and greedy than beings of lesser intelligence.

Well I think that if a species like us evolved but they grouped together and built one civilization, througout time they would spread and build more civilizations but they would be the same race, country and believe the same religion. So they would have ALOT less reason to fight. Different religions a a big reason for terrorism. But they would still have greed (because you need money for civilizations) but it isn't enough for the distruction of the species.

• 3 months later...

Ok, this is my take on why.

Humans have a violent past. Violent Evolution. We evolved because we used tools. Those tools became weapons, our brains evolved to better use those tools as weapons to survive.

An aline species may not have the same past. I've thought, came up with one possible situation... An alien race that was suppressed by a larger stronger dumber species. Using for the smaller smarter quicker species for food or what now, the smaller species would of evolved to be more stealthy, better equiped to survive, more strategiecly based to out smart the larger species. The only way I could think of this happening, is some large being, no limbs or very short ones.

Now, I can think of something on earth that sort of resembles that. Dolphins. If I remember correctly, a dolphin has the largest brain to body mass ratio, other than humans of course.