the metric system

blackhole123

:rolleyes:

What is so special about metric units anyway? The whole system starts with an arbitrary unit and uses an archaic and arbitrary base 10 counting system' date=' because we have 10 fingers. This makes it easier for mathematicians who can't use a calculator, and primary educators whose performance is judged by ticking the box that shows how many kids have memorised their times tables. Myself, I like the idea of a banana as a basic unit, and a base 20 counting system when I am sandalled and sockless in the summer and use my toes as well.

Imperial is user friendly, that goes down well in the USA, the land of the free and the progenitor of dumbed-down consumerism.

I enjoyed that, feel better now. Send me a food parcel.[/quote']

When you do all your mathmatics in a base 10 unit system, it is FAR FAR FAR easier to use metric units.

And as for the arbitary condition, if you consider the base unit to be the plank unit then use a unit system where plank length = 1 if you don't want arbitaryness

Metric is still arbitrary, but it's at least a more logical arbitrary. I'd rather have a system based on water and the Earth's surface than some king's body parts. The fact that it's base ten (and so is most of our mathematics and notation) makes it easier. The fact that the units of different quantities are related in a logical way makes it MUCH easier. For these reasons metric >>> imperial.

:P

When you do all your mathmatics in a base 10 unit system' date=' it is FAR FAR FAR easier to use metric units.

And as for the arbitary condition, if you consider the base unit to be the plank unit then use a unit system where plank length = 1 if you don't want arbitaryness[/quote']

:):P:) (I put those in just in case somebody does not realise I am poking fun just to make a point).

Nice try, but :

My point is to show the difference between arbitrary, convenience for everyday life, and easy maths. ("now add 0.333recurring of a cup of sugar, Mrs. Everyday, and remember to turn your pastry x radians every 10 to the power 6 Planck time units".

Base 10? Where is the logic behind that? Oh, wait, I remember now...isnt it because of the arbitrary evolutionary accident of 10 fingers? If you dont see that even choosing the Planck length is an arbitrary choice, and the whole metric system is built on convenient but shifting quicksand, then I guess I am just thinking further outside the box than you. Does that make me a crackpot? If so then a big hooray for me.