Monitor repair (and is it needed?)

Rasori

Hi. I recently acquired an older monitor for free. It was an upgrade for the one I was saving as I don't really want to dish out the money for a new monitor if I could scrap one.

The monitor I took was going to be recycled, but they had all been in use previously. To test if it worked, I simply plugged it into a wall and turned it on. It showed the correct "no input detected" message with good colors and the whole nine yards, so I said that was good.

I've been working on it (painting it actually, it's masked from the inside as I spray paint it to match my case-to-be), and I noticed today that the video connector cable is missing a few pins. It's got most of them, but not all. Since the computer had been in use, I'm hoping this won't turn out to be a problem--is there any reason to believe it will be?

If it is, is it possible to replace either the connector or the entire cable? I'd very much dislike seeing the time and effort I've put into this thing so far go down the tubes for something I should've seen to begin with :-(. From the little bit I've scanned the web, it seems it should be possible to either repair it or get it repaired, but how much is that looking to set me back? Is it possible to take it as a do-it-yourself job? And do I need to do it to begin with? (It's currently still being worked on, so I have no means to test it).

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

I have used monitiors with the cables missing some pins before and never had a problem. If I rembember correctly some of the pins aren't even used, so it could be those are the missing pins.

Ah, that's nice to know. Especially since I'm finally buying my computer parts today. Hopefully I'll have a brand-spankin' new computer running within a week (Newegg's usually fast enough that it's possible...)

In my experience, it is rather the norm for full original spec cables and connectors to be depopulated for cost saving where the specific use does not require all signals. Open any RS232 or SCART connector and see the redundant connections. In my modem days, it was the norm for serial connectors to have only a handful of pins fitted. Same applies to video cables.