Question? are physicals laws applicable across all dimensions

hello

was wondering if the laws of physics apply across all dimensions. or do certain laws only exist in certain dimensions, and futher if a law does exist only in certain dimersions how would a change brought about by that physical property that would only exist in say the eight dimension be reflected in the 3rd dimension.

strange thought

mr d

Depends what you mean by dimention.

If you mean in terms of space and time, then yes, but some are projected onto only a subset of the 4.

If you mean as in string theory, then I don't know enough about it, I'd imagine that as the are so "curled up" then no the laws would not be consistant.

If you mean as in back to the future multiverse style dimentions, then your guess is as good as anyones.

Gravitational attraction only applies in the up/down-dimension :D

More seriously (but the same just in more confusing words): If you´d "extend" the mechanism by a projection on those dimensions that your physical laws shall exist in, then you can apply the law in all dimensions because those that it wouldn´t work in would be projected out. Do the laws apply, then because you can apply them or don´t they because they are projected out?

I don't see how you could separate one dimension for another, or what it would even mean for a law to apply in one and not another. We are talking about "dimension" in the sense of spatial/time dimensions, right? And not some stupid "alternate universe" kind of a thing?

Siyiphus, I don`t beleive that would be strictly correct, if you are 2D (say X-Y axis` only) you probably couldn`t even perceive a Z axis.

hence in my Guess, 1 and 2 would still apply, but you`de have Extra stuff to play with :)

hello

perhaps this would clarify somewhat.

was wondering if matter occupies all dimensions at one time, or does matter cycle through dimensions, where each has a set of laws that applies to that dimension.

ex: matter if existing only in 3 dimensional space, where there is no dimention of time, is it effected by the laws of time, or can it be.

or if matter is effected by some force in dimension 8 that we are unable to detect in our four dimensional world, how would we percieve that effect in our dimension. how would we detect a standard 8th dimension change by its physical laws that we would lack equipment to see. to us would it be a standard physical reaction, or a seemingly random event as we could not detect the source of the change.

of course depends on are all dimensions in simultanious existence or cycled through.

mr d

hello

was wondering if the laws of physics apply across all dimensions. or do certain laws only exist in certain dimensions' date=' and futher if a law does exist only in certain dimersions how would a change brought about by that physical property that would only exist in say the eight dimension be reflected in the 3rd dimension.

strange thought

mr d[/quote']

Are you referring to the rolled up "dimensions" of String Theory? If so, all those dimensions are part of THIS universe. Therefore the laws apply to them.

Also, since the dimensions are part of this universe but "rolled up", matter is not in them.

for matter to exist OUTSIDE of Time, no change or motion could be possible, and therefore it`s not likely for Matter to exist :)

again, this is just my opinion, I`m not one that happens to beleive "Time" is an actual Dimension in its own right, at least not when you get past the 1`st :)

One of the favourite ones these days is allowing only gravity to exist in the extra dimensions (the 'bulk') while contraining the other three forces to work in the the normal dimensions (the 'brane'). Ajb presumably knows more about that than i do...