The game "Portal" and Science

alan2here

Here is a low quality video of the demo for the game portal that will be realised soon.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1299927595688205543&q=portal

If you have steam installed (valve's thing for playing there games) you can view the high quality one though steam.

It's graphical quite good and the physics are like most of the new games by valve (can handle meany rigid objects stacked\colliding realistically, not as stable physics as ageia) but the most incredible thing about it is it's use of "portals".

There are many forums online showing many pages of "wow that incredible" type responses on every post with a few "whoa, that's like in prey" ones.

However, what I am looking for here is a more scientific approach to the idea of how relisicly they portals like the ones in the video are being implemented and how they may work (or may never work) in the real world.

Um... there are no portals like that in the real world
the jury is still out on that one

lol

http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/

the last video on this page (regester just means type you email in and you emedatly get the video), and neer the end of the video (you can skip ahead using that menu at the bottem of the window that apreas when you play the video). It's called "the room"

Diffrent company, far superiour graphics\physics and far better portals.

I think we will have to wait a lot longer before playing that though.

I did like the two portals that put the drone into simple harmonic motion

Me too :¬)

I think it is or should be possible to get one to shoot it's self.

• 2 months later...