Clumsiness.

noto

Evening everybody. Just lately I was wondering about clumsiness, the reason for this was because lately I have been clumsy, or atleast feeling hopeless with my hand eye / foot eye co-ordination. I kick a football (soccer ball) and It will go completely the other way, I'm an avid game player and at times I have pin point accuracy whereas when feeling clumsy I feel awkward unable to aim at all!

I've heard that clumsiness can be the outcome of growing, the reason I say this is that when you grow, your brain has yet to recognise how much your body has increased in size thus making the errors of timing and judgment with sports, although I'm not sure if this affects playing games. This clumsiness also makes me feel like I'm going to fall over just walking. Sucks to be a teenager eh.

So please guys, tell me what you know on the subject, any interesting things you've experienced, any remedies? What you think of my little theory.

Please also move this thread if it's in the wrong place, cheers :).

Cluminess can often result during puberty for the reasons you described. How old are you?

I wouldn't worry about it if you're still growing, but perhaps there are certain excersices/activities you can do to improve your coordination.

Surviving a growth spurt isn't easy. Limbs can grow at different rates, leaving teens uncoordinated, clumsy, and even weak. The clumsiness most likely stems from the body's nervous system trying to adjust to the growth of limbs, muscles, and nerve lengths.

http://www.riverdeep.net/current/2000/09/090800_growth.jhtml

The site's kind of lame. One of those annoying 'Get to know you body' things for teens, but still, it may help you out.

I also think there is something to be said about mental focus here. Teens are often distracted by many new things at this stage and lack of focus tends to tangle up the feet and hands. Thinking about your homework, sports, tests, computer games, music parents, friends, enemies and driving a car *simultaneously* is a skill you don't learn until you're... you know, 80 or so, and by then you've forgotten your locker combination (and where your teeth are).

Also being worried that you will trip and embarass yourself takes valuable focus away from what you're doing. Add a nearby member of the opposite sex and focus is but a distant memory.

welcome to the Human race young Man :)

I think you`ll find also that if your friends were honest, they would also have similar such stories to share with you too, perfectly normal!

don`t sweat it :)