Metaphors as a good way of talking about political issues.

Kylonicus

I was wondering what y'all would think about using metaphors to talk about political issues, the writing of stories to write about political issues, so that it doesn't infuriate certain people, and so certain things that require intelligence to discern can be said, with less danger of worrying whether you'll be imprisoned.

What do you think?

I was wondering what y'all would think about using metaphors to talk about political issues' date=' the writing of stories to write about political issues, so that it doesn't infuriate certain people, and so certain things that require intelligence to discern can be said, with less danger of worrying whether you'll be imprisoned.

What do you think?[/quote']

Who cares? Satire is satire, but call it what it is. All governments are weaker than their population, and if you can get the population to take control, censorship won't be an issue.

Unless of course you're from the American midwest or South.

Metaphors, parables, allegories and satire are all time honoured devices to shine light on absurdities.

Politics being arguably the most absurd human activity, metaphors are particularly apt except when a well-aimed one makes your own political prejudices look stupid.

A lot of fiction, especially science fiction, uses metaphor to comment on current events and states, political or otherwise, without drawing ire by naming names and calling certain groups evil. It's a very valuable tool.

Mokele

I was wondering what y'all would think about using metaphors to talk about political issues, the writing of stories to write about political issues, so that it doesn't infuriate certain people, and so certain things that require intelligence to discern can be said, with less danger of worrying whether you'll be imprisoned.
Why are you so worried about voicing your opinion? You have another current thread about heavily censoring what you say politically. Are y'all getting thrown in jail for speaking your mind in Texas these days?

The reason I'm worried about censorship is in part due to Peak Oil.

Dictatorship feeds off of fear, and crisis generates alot of fear, so the greater the crisis, the greater the amount of dictatorship, and Peak Oil is something that is really going to cause alot of problems(especially with the way we're doing hardly anything about it, relative to the immensity of the problem). It may even force a massive population contraction due to lack of foresight.

So that's why I'm worried about dictatorship. Dictatorship won't just be instated, it will be demanded by the sheeple themselves. As they have already demonstrated that they are willing to exchange a great deal of freedom for security, for something like terrorism(which in comparison with Peak Oil or Global Warming, has taken lives in the U.S, maybe by the thousands, which Peak Oil alone, could take lives easily in the hundreds of thousands to millions, while causing pain for all classes), what makes you think they won't do the same for Peak Oil?

Never underestimate the stupidity, or the power of people in large numbers.

:-(