Interactive black hole feature at Hubblesite

Martin

http://hubblesite.org/discoveries/black_holes/home.html

this has some similarity to a computer game

it involves different kinds of black holes (from stellar mass to galaxy-mass size)

you get to scan the sky and observe different stuff from earth with various instruments (see what they look like at radio wavelengths, at Xray, at optical)

then you get to travel (at exagerated speeds that you choose) to various destinations that you select

the visuals of what you see while traveling, and when you get there are animated.

on the whole, from what I saw, they did a good job---fun to play around with and not just one possible experience

if you find mistakes in the game (besides associated with the unrealistically high speeds of travel, which they couldn't avoid) please point them out.

Yes, that is a very good simulation. I quite enjoyed it.

Very informative.

I suppose one nit-pick is that in the simulation where it shows the death of a star (size of your choice), for the larger ones, it still says "Red Giant". Shouldn't it say "Red Supergiant"? Thats the best i could find :D

I liked the fact that you could play around with it and then click a button to learn quite a lot about what you are looking at.