Miniature spy blimp

Sisyphus

So when I first saw toy R/C blimps like these, my first thought was "hehe, cool" and my second was to wonder if it could be modified into a "spy blimp" without too much effort. The idea is to find a wireless camera small enough to be supported, mount it on maybe a 45 degree downward angle underneath (rotating would be ideal, but I know I'm pushing my luck), maybe boost the transmitter significantly beyond the 300 ft. range most of these things seem to have, wait for a calm day, and take a spin around (and above) the neighborhood from the control station at the television.

So I guess my question is, does anyone have one of these? How much lift are we talking about (at sea level, say)? And does anyone know of a camera small enough that the blimp could still fly?

That is a cool idea lol. The size of the blimp allows enough helium to carry the weight of the blimp only. What you could do though is add perhaps a few more gas bags to compensate for the weight of a camera and whatever extra servos or receivers are required.

try replacing the helium with hydrogen to accomodate for the extra mass

(hindenburg went up because of aluminium paint and static electricity, sealed mylar should be safe enough)

look around for the types of cameras they mount on estes model rockets, it's not a live feed, but you can still get a decent film.

1 cubic metre of hydrogen(or is it in litres?) will lift 0.7kilos.

i've done something similar with an R/C plane but i haven't been able to get much more range for the camera than 350 ft with a boosted reciever(i was told the boosted transmitters are illegal) further ranges will recieve a signal but the error rate is far far too high to be usable and very intermitent.