File Properties

herme3

Where is the data for the file properties stored? You can find out when a file was created, when it was edited, and you can also keep descriptions of the file. However, this data does not seem to show up as hard drive space that is taken. If you create a text file with one character, it will still have all the file properties listed but only be 1 byte in size. Also, when you open the file in any type of text editor you will not see the property data.

Are all of the file properties hidden within the file, or are they stored in a central location within the operating system?

I did some research, and I read that the data is contained in the hidden file: C:\$Mft

I don't see this file, even when I enable all hidden and system files. No matter how I try to open it, it says that the file can't be found. However, you can prove that the file exists. If you create a blank text file, and name it "$Mft" without the .txt extension, try to copy it to the C:\ root directory. It will bring up an error message that says the file already exists.

If the file exists, isn't there some way that it can be opened? The system restored directory, "C:\System Volume Information" is also hidden and locked, but people have found a way to open that.

That makes me wonder if ntfs support in non-windows platforms lets you access this file. Windows obviously wont let you, I wouldn't be supprised if somewhere in their messy code there's a switch statement that wont allow you to open that (along with several other things).

I'd say that if you know what the hell you're doing then there's no reason why you shouldn't muck about with any file. But file systems are rather complicated things and the type of people who would know about them probably make back ups before they break stuff, or only break redudant machines anyway.