Cambridge Uni interview question

DING! DING! DING! Congradulations Clarisse! As you guessed the correct answer you get first prize! Acceptance to Cambridge university on FULL scholarship!

good job.

Yeah' date=' they hoped to kill pathogens via osmosis.[/quote']

Yey! Tell the Cambridgeans I'm on my way... to Oxford.. :P

Yeah' date=' they hoped to kill pathogens via osmosis.[/quote']

If that's an interview question, I suspect the aim of it is to test the methodology of the student when asked something that's unlikely to be known already, an independent problem, rather than whether someone just gets the right answer out.

Yey! Tell the Cambridgeans I'm on my way... to Oxford.. :P

Cantabrigian.

I was totally going to use that as my next answer. :D

I'll go with the wound licking!! But on a serious not I highly doubt there is a totally right answer to the question, at least from the Cambridge University point of view. Getting the answer wrong would not determine your acceptance, rather how you answer the question is more important! They are looking for how you think and the logic you use behind the question.

This is tactic used by alot of top companies today, during the interview process (i.e. Mackinzie, Boston Consulting Group, Citigroup, Pfizier, BMS, AstraZeneca, even NYPD). They ask case study questions, field related such as "estimate the market size for a new tire specific for harley-davidson in the north-east US and determine probably pricing" , as well as weirdo questions such as "how many golf balls can you fit in a submarine"! The interviewer has the answers to the cases, but that's not important, they're looking for what questions you ask, how you put the story together, and how you arrive at your conclusion!

Same thing for graduate school interviews!! Often they'll ask a science related question, and they'll ask you what experimental approach(s) you would use to investigate say for example "G-protein independant activiation of p42/p44 ERK by H1-histamine receptors"

So I think getting the answer "wrong" wouldn't block acceptance. Rather how you address the question.

With that, I gladly decline my acceptance the Cambridge U, I'd rather Oxford, or the Southwestern University of Philippeno, Mexican, and Tanzanian Microbial Neurobiology.