The definition of science

Royston

Time and time again, people on here seem to completely ill define science, especially recently, and it's getting really boring and a waste of time for others trying to explain it.

Is there any chance of a sticky or something that defines science precisely, no blurring with philisophical or religious arguments, no discrediting of science because a theory is incomplete (groan...I hate that one) just a concise, and solid definition, so for anybody that can't seem to understand what science actually is, can be given a link, and hopefully it will stop people rubbishing science because they can't define it correctly.

If there already is one, apologies, I couldn't find it.

Time and time again' date=' people on here seem to completely ill define science, especially recently, and it's getting really boring and a waste of time for others trying to explain it.

Is there any chance of a sticky or something that defines science precisely, no blurring with philosophical or religious arguments, no discrediting of science because a theory is incomplete (groan...I hate that one) just a concise, and solid definition, so for anybody that can't seem to understand what science actually is, can be given a link, and hopefully it will stop people rubbishing science because they can't define it correctly.

If there already is one, apologies, I couldn't find it.[/quote']

My understanding is that science is the study of the natural/physical world through a set of procedures.

It would be nice to have a sticky.

Further more your right. I always find myself arguing philosophy and religion in an evolution forum. I asked at least once for them to continue their religious discussions in a more appropriate section. However the way I said it attracted ridicule because I was trying to sound non-critical to the religious people, and remain open minded.

The definition of science varies from science to science, and from scientist to scientist. Here's the debate on Is biology a science? It talks about the inherent strength and weaknesses of biology and physics. Sometimes science is "You're all I've got tonight, but you'll do." and we have to accept probably yes/no, inconclusive, likely yes/no but it's too important to forget the question. Definition is too strong a word for me, but guidelines would certainly help.

I have thought long and hard about this simple question. I have dealt a lot with those who push pseudo-science, and have wanted a simple definition to provide a distinction.

My conclusion is that there is no simple definition for science in its entirety. It is just too big. We could say something like :

"Science is the study of the universe using the scientific method."

Then we would have to define the scientific method. That would take a book - a very big book!

However, I see no reason why we cannot define the 'core' of science. The central principle that the rest must revolve around.

Following such luminaries as Carl Sagan, Carl Popper etc. Let me try.

This is defining the core of science only. I believe that centres on testing. We must test data, hypotheses, methods etc. Science is testing everything.

"The core of science is the process of collecting and testing data in an objective and empirical way, formulating hypotheses, and testing these many times with predictions, followed by novel experiments or observations to check those predictions, with the aim of falsifying incorrect ideas, and testing in the same objective manner all test methods used."

Perhaps a bit clumsy. Anyone think they can polish it?

• 7 months later...