MS Word 2000 crashes

[edit]Don't bother reading this, just skip down to my post #4, after The Tree's

When I open specific .doc files with MS Word 2000 it will crash before the document has loaded. It only happens with some files, and always the same ones.

Here's what I've tried so far to get a specific file (which used to work just fine) to open:

1) Redownload the file incase of corruption - doesn't help

1) Uninstal/reinstal Office 2000 - still crashes when I try to open it

2) Instal Office 2003 - Word 2003 crashed too

3) Open with WordPad does work

4) Export as .rtf from WordPad - Word opens it and I see the first page but then immediately crashes

5) In Word import the file - it shows the first page but crashes immediately

By "crash" I mean you get that 'please send error to MS' message. I've played with templates, removed temporary files, nothing runs when Word starts-up, uninstalled printers, disabled firewall/AV and Norton's Office plug-in.

I really need access to this document, preferably in Word... I can access it in WordPad but certain features, namely the Automatic Contents Page, doesn't work. I could open the file fine last week, but now it won't work at all.

Help! And thanks in advance.

[edit2]Don't bother reading this, just skip down to my post #4, after The Tree's

Ah, I've got the problem... anything with Style Headings in I cannot use.

You know when it says Normal in the top left of Word, that's what I'm talking about.

I cannot open any document which uses anything other than Normal. I also can't apply a new Style. So for example I type "abc", highlight it and select Heading 1 and it crashes.

Any ideas how to fix it?

[edit] I tried deleting Normal and getting Word to recreate it, didn't work though.

Hmm, I like Office, this is the first prob I've ever really had.

I've narrowed it down to being a problem involving only the Heading 1 style. Everything else works, but any document using Heading 1 or if I try to apply it it will crash.

Just uninstal/reinstal Office but it didn't work.

After doing further tests I am certain that the problem is centered around the fact that any document containing the Style Heading 1 will not work. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I've already:

Reinstalled twice

Tried a different version of Office (2003 - currently on 2000)

Deleted the Normal.dot template

Ran Word's Detect And Repair program

Yeah I know, but I woulda thought that Styles would be uninstalled when the prog was. Similarly I thought that reinstalling (as opposed to uninst then inst) would overwrite the Style file(s).

I got a mate to change all the Heading 1 to Heading 2 so the document I need urgent access to all works now, so no rush... but I still wanna fix the problem, just no rush.

I doubt reinstalling Windows will fix it because the Styles is an Office thing.

Interestingly when I went into Word and tried to modify Heading 1, well, normally when you highlight a Style it will show a preview, when I go to Heading 1 the preview box remains grey and then it crashes.

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing to do would be to remove office and run through your registry and delete everything that still refers to office, then delete every file that refers still to office on your machine . . . . . . or you could identify anything you've installed just before the problem came about and acess whether its causing conflict

just another average day at the office ;)

normally, to get a complete uninstall/reinstall, i:

uninstall the offending program.

reboot.

delete the folder in program files

run the registry clearning bit of ccleaner (does what bluesmodge reccomended doing)

run ccleaner again (repeat till ccleaner doesnt find anything)

reinstall.

that usually works.

openoffice and MS office both have majour failings... i have both installed, and tend to use whichever is less-cack for what i'm trying to do.

MS office is actually quite good. apart from that paper-clip.