Realistic ideas how to make AI?

Cheetah

Does anyone have realistic ideas as to how to build a working AI, specialy considering the ability to make a conversation.

My current idea which I am trying to program, is to use a database where each word would be given a property of what it is, i.e. nouns, verbs, numerals, etc.

In addition I would make the AI parse every sentence written to it by analysing the text, like finding subject, object, verb and so on.

If I combine this with a way to describe objects to the AI (another database), I believe I would have a quite nice, working AI.

What do people think about this idea?

interesting idea, though you may run into at least one problem that i can think of right now. I don't know what laguage you are thinking about writting it for, but at least in english we have words that are both nouns and verbs. ie. See him run to the store. and She has a run in her stockings. Thus, you would have to have your program be able to take words in context which is a major problem.

Of course, as far as the context thing goes, there are words that have different meanings in differing context, and what about figures of speach? YOu would need to make a list of all those too, so that your program would understand things like "you are driving me up the wall" and "you are killing me". STuff like that.

Anywho, not to discourage you, you should write in anyways, as you will learn much from the expreience, but these are just some issues that i see right now.

(oh, one last thing, my arch nemesis, spellings suxxors, so people would have to spell correctly too :( )

Your idea sounds fine in general. If you combine your idea with a tree of relationships between each word then you are getting close to simulating intelligence. Here is an example of a tree...

'Apple'....branches to 'green', branches to 'fruit'...branches to 'Tree'....etc..

'green'...would branch back to 'apple'...but also to 'grass'..etc

then you would need strengths to each branch based on the current topic.

This branching would also have to work automatically based on conversation analysis. Although you would of course fill of much of it in as you possibly could beforehand.

Pincho.

The best approach to AI would undoubtedly be a perfect simulation of a massive network of neurons. Just duplicate how it happened in nature. The computing power isn't here yet, as well as some of the finer points neuroscience details... but I suspect the first true AI will arise out of a method like that.

The way to increase AI efficiency would be to get the computer to recognise colours, and shapes by using cameras. Also give the AI a mother/Father figure that never lies. People try to catch computer programs out by lying, but if the computer stored Mother/Father information that it could trust, it would work better. Other information would have to be stored more gradually in strengths of how many times the computer hears the same information.

I do believe that the best known form of creating AI acording to programmers wouldbe XML. Here is a working version of an AI Forum Bot created as an add-on for phpbb I have installed this on my own forum and it worked great but i could not figure out how to make it learn on it own.

http://phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24191&highlight=bot

read that thread and you should get a ton of information from it