Today in lesson we are going to, AHRRRRGGGGGG

atinymonkey

well I know it`s very "speceist" or double standards on my part, I acknowledge this and accept it fully, but I would feel half as bad examining a baby pig (an Adult one would be better tho) as I would with a cat, I think I`de get rather "proactive" if I was presented with that task. Ok maybe if you`re going to be a Vet surgeon of something sure, but use already dead creatures that have HAD a life at least.

I`m one of these ppl that thinks bacon comes from a happy place :)

YT2095 said in post #5 :

well I know it`s very "speceist" or double standards on my part, I acknowledge this and accept it fully, but I would feel half as bad examining a baby pig (an Adult one would be better tho) as I would with a cat, I think I`de get rather "proactive" if I was presented with that task. Ok maybe if you`re going to be a Vet surgeon of something sure, but use already dead creatures that have HAD a life at least.

I`m one of these ppl that thinks bacon comes from a happy place :)

lol. Fetals pigs were suprisingly unfetal like. They were (as far as I could tell) fully developed and ready to be born. They even had eyelashes. They could have been cute if they weren't so pale and smelly. They also had dye injected into their bloodstream so we could find the major blood vessels easier.

oh FFS! :(

YT2095 looks for a bucket.....

the only dye I`m used to seeing on pig usualy says "Danish" LOL.

and did you HAVE to mention the eyelashes bit? *sheesh* it remonds me of when I was a youth (drinking underage in a local pub) there was this guy who worked in slaughter house, he`de always bring a little bag of pigs nipples into the pub with him, he used to flick them up and try get em to stick to the ceiling, Dirty old man!

On my biology degree they only gave us crappy animals to dissect.

Locusts, mice, fish, a squid... you get the picture.

Oh, and moss too. We got to dissect MOSS.

There's something very wrong with this picture if US high school students get to slice up cats and pigs.

Oh, and moss too. We got to dissect MOSS.

MOSS, ROFL. That has to be the single most boring thing to dissect ever in the history of dissection.

But yes, as far as I'm aware, most highschool bio students get to dissect a myriad of animals, including fetal pigs and/or cats.

Moss, as in the green stuff that grows on trees? or is it an acronym for something else?

Frogs or rats yeah, oh and some pigs liver with H2O2 to show the enzyme effect. Ide draw the line at cats though!

oddly enough, I could probably work on a dog ?

I know I have double standards where this is concerned before anyone tries "having a go" at me. and yes it IS Irrational, but that`s me :)

oh no :(

and me :(

gimme something that died of natural causes anyday! when I get over the "how can I bring it back to live again" and feeling desperate urgency to do this, I think I could work, but I`de have to be sure it wasn`t done deliberatly, else I`de go ballistic!

Blike & YT: "Moss?!"

Yes indeed, moss, as in the green stuff that grows on walls etc.

We had a (possibly dangerously obssessed) lecturer who studied it teaching us for a couple of modules. I'm sure she was a lovely lady outside the lab but in it she always looked as if we were keeping her from her fascinating moss research.

It's more humane than cats I suppose.

Awww bless :)

ya can`t disturb a good scientist when He/She is "on a Mission" LOL :)

may I ask, Why Moss?, we never did that in A`lev bio?

I`m sure some sort of microscope was needed, and that require a little concentration esp when having to draw it as well, but what`s so special about moss? I clearly remember using Onion slices, never moss tho?

"Why moss?" indeed.

We had to use those weak binocular microscopes to see what we were doing. It was annoying as hell. Especially when you drew what you saw (as instructed in ALL bio drawings lessons) and got told you hadn't shown enough interesting details.

/me buys Sayo some lovely colored pencil crayons for his next drawing session Muhahahahahahah LOL :)

I know what ya mean tho, different teachers demmand different things, there really isn`t a set format for that kind of work. hopefully the examination board was a little less "particular" and accuracy coupled with correct answers was their "thing".

S`ok, I find it quite funny coz I had a Chem teacher that insisted on use of goggles, and if you had to write an observation down, you`de get shouted at "I didn`t say you could take those off Boy!!!!"

I guess ya had to be there :)

I think I can imagine.

In bio labs we had this tarded system whereby foreign students and the most personality-free third years would act as assistants for the lecturer.

Their duties extended as far as marking the work for a table of students, so our marks for actual credit on a degree course had to go through a completely subjective appraisal process that was essentially a big blender, operated by people who had no interest in our progress and were not answerable to the examinations council for any of their 'marking'.

Eeeww that`s gotta suck!

and beleive me, today of ALL days I CAN sympathise, I had my exam result today.... My wife passed and I failed :(

we had different examiners, and I know the stuff equaly as well if not better than my wife (she will even tell you this herself).

yet those were the results, oddly (or not so) the majority of FAILS were with the same examiner, dunno if it`ll get questioned tho, as it`s the exam is video recorded too.

but it kinda makes ya think!

stuff em anyway, I`m transfering from this years second choice lessons back to the same class I failed in, just means I`ll be twice as good at it next year :)

but for today, I`m a failure in that course, I`ll soon correct that :)

it was for British Sign Language level 1

I actualy goto the local Deaf Club and have a good chat there too, they were all convinced that I`de pass as well, who knows? maybe I just "lost it" on the day?

but it sure didn`t feel that way at the time!

nevermind, I`ll give em hell next year :)