Ideological Characterizations (A List)

Pangloss

Basic guidelines for this list:

1) The entry must be a broad-based comparison (i.e. a sweeping generalization).

2) It needs to be ideologically-based, founded on preconceptions or base understandings about a specific social/cultural/political group.

3) Racial stereotypes are excluded from this list. (Per forum rules.)

4) The poster must include his or her opinion on the characterization. Do you agree or disagree with it?

5) The characterization may be viewed by the poster as right OR wrong. (You can post something you agree with, or something you don't agree with.)

-----------------

Here's a couple to start us off. I'll post one from each of the two main-line American political groupings. (I'd be really interested in hearing some from our friends in the UK and Australia!)

- Liberals are unpatriotic because they oppose the war and/or President Bush.

- Conservatives are opposed to immigration because they believe in securing the national border.

(I don't agree with either one of those.)

Conservatives want to invade Muslim countries, kill their leaders, and covert them to Christianity. (Agree.)

Disagree. There is a sizable number of Conservatives who prefer selective engagement (Derbicons, Buchananites). There are also a sizeable number of non-Christian neoconservatives who are opposed or ambivalent to proselytization (this would describe the National Review and Weekly Standard crowd). On the other hand, I personally can't disagree with Ann Coulter. What better way to transform dar al-Islam than to employ the "transforming power" of Christianity?

Liberals are all limp-wristed hippies who want to smoke pot and kill all their babies.

(Disagree.)

Also disagree. Liberals aren't generally limp-wristed hippies. And they're perfectly happy with only killing a few million babies a year.

I'll add another one. Vocal atheists are by and large annoying Aspies (wouldn't be surprised if verified).

Conservatives are more offended by the idea of an undeserving person getting a free lunch on their dime than a deserving person having to go without a much needed meal.

Disagree, as only tautological generalizations are even liable to be true, though I think the generalization is closer to truth for the right than the left.