How do you meditate?

the tree

Something I've noticed on these forums is that a lot of the really intelligent types would endorse meditation.

Honestly, I haven't experimented with different types of mediation that much. One that I really get a lot from is Quaker meetings for worship, and as far as I'm aware it's the only way of mediating that involves a shared experience.

Would anyone care to say what types of meditation you enjoy, why and how you learnt it?

I don't know, I personally learnt it from my parents and Martial Arts ( :confused: ). Basically its controlled breathing. I am not sure the biological affects of doing it, but I am sure there is a psychological affect that indirectly helps physically. You reduce irregular breathing (I guess) and its puts you in a relaxed state, maybe reducing stress.

It's mythologically idea I think states it set you in some form of spiritual enlightenment. I am sure a science forum would be very quick to disprove that.

As for methods...I am sure there are websites within a google clicks away. I however (When I did, which I should do more often) was just sitting cross legged (you know to open the 6th gate of the spiritual garden, if anything to make it look like I know what I am doing), relax, clear mind, breath in slowly, hold for a few and then exhale. Rinse, re-apply, and repeat.

That's a relevant post right? If not I'll get it sooner or later.

it depends on what I wish to acheive.

for Peace and Revery, I like to sit at my allotment in my shed and watch the plants grow and the birds fly and sing.

for Thought, simple things like Distilling or melting metals, practices almost as old as man and in a way puts you in Touch with these ancient and arcane times, they are Slow processes that give plenty of time for further thought of your Next Project :)

probably NOT what you were after, but non the less, True and Honest, and there nothing Fancy or Schools to be taken or breathing to get right, just an attitude and "Feeling" :)

If you define meditation like this:

"Meditation usually refers to a state in which the body is consciously relaxed and the mind is allowed to become calm and focused"

quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation

then anything from what YT said, to "official" methods (controlled breathing), to listening to calming music to just lying in a dark room by yourself or even just lying down and having a nice calming conversation with a mate could be considered meditating.

All it really means is relaxing.

If watching plants grow for YT, music can work for me (in that I can listen to the song and forget all the stuff around me other than the song - and then fade out of the song to focusing on nothing at all) then anything could work for you.

The other day I happened to be in a bad mood and had a bit of an argument, but I knew I had an important test the day after and had to place the big argument behind me and focus on my revision. Suprisingly extremely loud music work very well and the only revision I did was that night and I got best mark in the class. In that case I found the loud music relaxing, so could be seen as a form of meditation.

I lie across my soft chair sideways. My feet hang over one armrest while my back rests arched over on the other. My head hangs upside down and my arms are outstretched over my head. I let the blood pool and stay that way for about 15 minutes. Its the ultimate spine stretch for me.

When I get up, I find it hard to breathe for a few seconds, but I'm relaxed for awhile after that. :)

Bee

I began my foundational meditation training in the vipassana style.

This page gives an intro and basic instructions:

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/index.html

Much of my early training took place here:

http://www.spiritrock.com/display.asp?catid=2&pageid=106

I now practice in the Tibetan Tantric style, which is a more complex, working with various mind states and mental energies.

Most traditional meditation schools of thought emphasis breath awareness (not breath control) in the beginning stages of meditation practice, then later, object meditation (holding one's awareness on a focus object for extended periods while observing the mind, but not participating in the mind's thought patterns). Once these two foundational techniques have been mastered, the practitioner is prepared for more advanced training in observing and calming the patterns of mind, which will ultimately lead to complete stillness of mind (no thought, only extended uninterrupted awareness).