US Government as a Business

Mike T

GOVERNMENT AS A BUSINESS

If the US was run as a business

Being as the US is the most powerful corporation in the world, the president would have a salary of $500,000,000 a year.

The US would be selling its security worldwide. Since there would be no competition, its prices would be sky high but the workers (soldiers) would be paid a minimum wage.

Its technology would be available worldwide where there would be some competition, so its prices would be somewhat subdued. Say $1000 for a digital CD?

There would be no corruption since there is no one to corrupt and no one could afford it.

Congress would give themselves pensions of $1,000,000 a month.

Treasury notes would be loaned out at 25%.

The president would have all his family members on the staff as well would all the members of congress.

Do you get the picture?

FYI - Government is supposed to be a non-profit corporation.

So it would have to balance the books. That means that taxes would be sky high and no one could afford to pay them. So the government would print the extra dollars it needs to meet the salaries and expenses.

MT

GOVERNMENT AS A BUSINESS

If the US was run as a business

Being as the US is the most powerful corporation in the world' date=' the president would have a salary of $500,000,000 a year.

The US would be selling its security worldwide. Since there would be no competition, its prices would be sky high but the workers (soldiers) would be paid a minimum wage.

Its technology would be available worldwide where there would be some competition, so its prices would be somewhat subdued. Say $1000 for a digital CD?

There would be no corruption since there is no one to corrupt and no one could afford it.

Treasury notes would be loaned out at 25%.

The president would have all his family members on the staff as well would all the members of congress.

Do you get the picture?

FYI - Government is supposed to be a non-profit corporation.

So it would have to balance the books. That means that taxes would be sky high and no one could afford to pay them. So the government would print the extra dollars it needs to meet the salaries and expenses.

MT[/quote']

I really don't get the picture. :) You are hypothesizing the US government taking over all other business, such as entertainment, hence the $1k CDs? Why is there no corruption?

Jim quote

I really don't get the picture. :) You are hypothesizing the US government taking over all other business, such as entertainment, hence the $1k CDs? Why is there no corruption?

The picture reduces into just one word...Greed.

The high CD prices would indicate the degree of inflation.

Since the government has more money than it needs, it could be immune to corruption.

Pangloss quote

Fear is so much more motivating than logic, isn't it?

The biggest motivator is money. With money, you not only can buy government but religion as well with your donations.

Sisyphus quote

Huh? I don't get the picture, no.

See above reply.

MT

Mike T, everyone is puzzled as to what this thread is supposed to be about. Are you speculating about the future, do you think this is happening now, or are you just painting your own vision of what life would be like?

Once again, your use of absolutes and generalities

to describe mere possibilities really puts people off discussing things with you. You see everything as one way and you have already drawn your conclusions. Why should we bother discussing this with you? This sounds more like a tract that should be printed and handed out downtown to workers rushing by on their lunch hour.

Why do you come here if not to debate?

Mike T, I sugjest you learn some basics about economics before posting another bizzare thread with questionable motives. Given the product prices of which you speak greed would mean nothing since their sales would be jack squat.

I read the quoted text in a newspaper article.

I assumed it was an amusing tongue in cheek piece, and chuckled over it as such. You could say the same about the business of running any country. I seem to remember the context was the new fed head honky, and why no government will ever balance the books, no matter what baloney they try and sell the dumb electorate.

So have a laugh, have a giggle, and see the unstated real message.

So you think that money is the root of all evil?

Have you ever asked what is the root of money?

Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another—their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun.

If you ask me to name the proudest distinction of Americans, I would choose—because it contains all the others—the fact that they were the people who created the phrase 'to make money.' No other language or nation had ever used these words before; men had always thought of wealth as a static quantity—to be seized, begged, inherited, shared, looted of obtained as a favor. Americans were the first to understand that wealth has to be created. The words 'to make money' hold the essence of human morality.

- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Wow, you guys are really disturbed by someone quoting Ayn Rand or criticizing Bill Moyers. I didn't realize I was causing such consternation.

Tell you what, blame me for being trite with the initial poster and setting a bad precedent if you like. But I know a bad trend when I see one, and getting painted as an Ayn Rand apologist is a pretty bad sign. Thread closed. Feel free to start threads on Bill Moyers and/or Ayn Rand if you like, but I expect you to provide reasoned debate, not assumptions and generalizations. This isn't the Religion board.