Playing the car stereo to loud...

Decessus

Is listening to your car stereo at a lower volume but with the windows rolled up worse for your ears than listening to it louder but with the windows rolled down?

I always notice that when I roll the windows I have to turn the stereo up louder in order to hear it. No surprise really. However, does turning it up louder put more stress on my ears, or is the noise supressed more because much of it is escaping out of the car instead of bouncing around on the windows?

I don't think glass windows would be very effective as sound insulation, but rather, you end up with outside interference at the same time. If it sounds as loud as it does with the windows up, then it's doing the same damage. Decibels are what matter, not the windows.

Mehh your thread does not use correct grammar' date=' I believe the word you were looking for was TOO not TO.... cool :)

edit: grammar LOLZ[/quote']

Where should I have used too instead of to? I was under the impression that too was used when you mean "also" or "in excess".

I don't think glass windows would be very effective as sound insulation, but rather, you end up with outside interference at the same time. If it sounds as loud as it does with the windows up, then it's doing the same damage. Decibels are what matter, not the windows.

Yes, but the sound has to reach your ears in order to do damage to them, right? If you have the windows rolled down, don't some of the sound waves escape out the windows?

Yes, but the sound has to reach your ears in order to do damage to them, right? If you have the windows rolled down, don't some of the sound waves escape out the windows?

Indeed, but what matters is how much of it reaches your ears. If it seems just as loud (because you turned it up) then you're compensating for those that escape and providing the same amount of sound to your ears.

Indeed, but what matters is how much of it reaches your ears. If it seems just as loud (because you turned it up) then you're compensating for those that escape and providing the same amount of sound to your ears.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. If you left the volume alone, it would be less damaging to your ears then, correct?

Some people seem confused when you use it for also...

Do you think interference patterns created by two very loud noises have a different effect than something that is as loud as both noises at once? Not better or worse, but different.

yea, you don't need to change "to" to "too." Maharaja is wrong. You only use that when you say "also" or "in excess"

After looking at it, I realized what he was talking about. My thread title says "Playing the car stereo to loud.." A typo on my part.