virus burgers

maybe viruses can be engineered to store the gold? would this be better?

Its an interesting idea but again there are problems.

1) Viruses need living cells to reproduce.

2) How would you modify all those viruses to collect gold?

The reason for the first is obvious - viruses are very target specific. Once modifiesd they would need to be introduced into a host so they can repproduce.

The second is a bit harder. Out knowledge of genetic engineering is in its infancy, we would not yet have the ability to engineer a virus to do that.

I can't really think of a lot of things that could be done with them that would even equalise the costs of extraction. Without meeting the costs of extraction it would be useless as an industry for one thing :-(

Also regarding the inital post - I think some people may object to the idea of eating burgers made form viruses :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

well the protein content should be quite high, and for the vegans out there what could be better?

Oh I'd have no problem with it but you can bet some people would.

haven't the aussies done a lot on gold-seeking and eating bacteria? the technology may be around the corner.

Not shure about this at all, maybe they do. We don't really understand DNA to make any real big changes to it yet but we can do basic modifications such as making bacteria produce insulin.

Maybe it is possible, maybe its not. We all have sole gold within us anyway - just not a lot :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Also regarding the inital post - I think some people may object to the idea of eating burgers made form viruses :D
This is where marketing steps up to the plate, as it were.

Try new OINK*Burgers! Nutritious, Delicious and Vicious!

* Obligate Intracellular Non-pathogenic Kreatures

Oh I'd have no problem with it but you can bet some people would.

Not shure about this at all' date=' maybe they do. We don't really understand DNA to make any real big changes to it yet but we can do basic modifications such as making bacteria produce insulin.

Maybe it is possible, maybe its not. We all have sole gold within us anyway - just not a lot :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Yea... I have no real idea as to where I would start to make a bacterium that would sequester gold. but, if there is another organism doing this already, its just a matter of mimmicking it, which is much easier. gold is an element, so receptors wouldn't have to be that complicated. I would think that its feasible.

Distilling fresh water from seawater is already in practice in a lot of places, as far as I know. It's just more difficult to do on a large scale than is practical, most of the time. I don't doubt mining seawater for minerals will become feasible in the not-too-distant future, but I seriously doubt it will utilize viruses.

I agree with that. The only time they would ever try to extract say gold from sea water would be if the supplies on the land ran out.

Seeing as that will not happen soon we don't have a lot of hope for seeing this.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones