Any experiments I could do?

well I tend to use mine for Crystal examination most of the time in Chemistry, but yeah, cells are good too if you enjoy that kind of thing, and pond life is also fascinating.

I use a 900x mag and that`s more than enough for my uses and applications :)

it`s also good to have a polarised film that the light passes through, and often usefull to have the option of Top Lighting an object too. top lighting allows you to view things like Microchips where the light cannot pass through the substrate, and a polarising film adds an entirely new dimension to looking at Crystals :)

U can...see how are microbes distributed in different types of media... try to guess the type of microbe from how it appears and where it has been found [ get good biobooks for it] Now u can prepare ur own media and get the microbe resistant media for you...resistant to all [ eg. high salt soln] or resistant to some...[ prepare 5-6 media wich ONLY diff. salt conc. ( atleast try ur best) and see some types would be still surviving in high salt thing! mark their morphology and in this way u can get the range of salt conc. for which some types are adapted to] U can have natural selection in ur cups... keep them in low temp or LITTLE higher salt conc. and those surviving there...let them grow for some days...then again increase salt-conc. a little and do the same again...and in such a way salt-grow-salt- manner you can select salt-living microbes! U may also possibly use plant and animal cells ocassionally.

Here I've taken high salt thing. U can use low temp./ diff. salts or chemicals u may get/ combinations of these/ light intensity / time of light-exposure/ effect of music on them! etc.

U can use Neem extracts, Haldi powder, soap, detergents, and combos of all of above!!!

CAn observe INSECTS, one of my friends did it...they are HORRIblesome sometimes!!! Reveal the new HORRIzons of monster worlds for u and ur frendz!

Yeah, somebody really said oberving crystals!!! nice too...it also needs analytical mind!!!

Best Wishes!!!

hrushikesh

• 2 weeks later...

Well it all depends on your budget!!

I've ordered/used microscopes that cost more than a house in an NYC suburb!

I'm a fan of Carl Zeiss mics. Good set-up is about 40 to 50K. A good confocal setup will run you over 120K.

Used an electron microscope by philips (CM10) that was about 400K.

Usually Confocals and TEM/SEM types of microscopes are purchased for facility purposes, although some rich labs (like HHMI funded labs) have their own.

Thats FYI.

but as far as experiments..not much you can do with a light microcope. You can explore your enviroment, go down to the local pond, take some samples and see what's there! That's what I did as a kid. Yup..still a geek.