What a difference a day makes...

Royston

A couple of weeks ago I was pretty ill, constant vomiting, diarrhea et.c Lots to do at work, so I went back feeling dreadful...on the way back from work I got a phone call from my Dad, that my Mum had been rushed to hospital and it was very serious (life threatening serious) I then walked into my house to find a letter from the bailiffs...on top of this because I was ill (a week behind on my course), I had to get an assignment in the next day. So I was up until the early hours writing an essay, doing equations what have you, then had to go back to work the next day.

In the morning I posted my assignment (I passed...woohoo) got a phone call that my Mum was in the clear, phoned the bank to find there was an error in a regular payment that was their fault, the illness had passed and I got a half day compassionate leave from work. It seemed in a matter of hours my life went from being consumed by the fear of losing my Mum, panic and anger with the letter, feeling sick, trying to cope with an important assignment and loads to cope with at work, straight back to normality.

It just made me appreciate how quickly things can turn around in a second (or in my case a few hours). A decision a leader makes...Einstein getting his revelation for relativity, such things can take years to come about, but in a split second 'something happens' that can change the course of history. It can just be the firing of neural transmitter (a split second) and everything will change for the future. I just thought it was maybe worth appreciating, that such a small fleeting moment as a decision or a revelation can quite literally change the course of history.

I had the opposite experience yesterday, I went to bed the night before feeling awesome, self-actualized and basically in what I'd consider to be a state of nirvana... woke up and found out everything was going to all hell thanks to event cascades that I had initiated... not really my "fault" per se but for some reason I sure like to dwell on them. Didn't really sleep well last night.

yeah i know what you mean. a while back i was actually having quite a good time, studies were going well had a few parties planned and when i get home from school i find out that my gran has been admitted to a hospital about 50 miles away after having an extremely bad heart attack. it practically destroyed her heart and she died 2 days later when life support was switched off (while angry about it at the time, i see sense in it now since there was no way she could have recovered and due to her age and various medical conditions there was no way se'd even be considered for a heart transplant.)

After that i fell out with someone i had been friends with for about 5 years failed my english exam and was generally depressed for about three months and was pretty anti social for a while. when i got back to school i was in a few more fights than usual and worried about various classes and the fact that my grandpa was ill (we thought it was only a cold at that time but i was still worried since my gran had just died pretty much)anyway just after christmas my grandpa was admitted to hospital because that"cold" hadn't gone away. turned out to be pneumonia all the doctors said he'd get better but he just got worse and died just under a year after my gran died and i went into a depression again. but after that it slowly got better especially after i got into uni. that was a crap time in my life.

Bascule,

It's pretty crazy...a couple of words out of place can have such a knock on effect, especially when the person is highly influential, or has power. It can happen in a split second, the right thought can carry on for years and enhance so many lives, and a bad decision can bring contention and anger, and can even promote bias, and segregation.

Love the sig by the way, Bascule.

yeah i know what you mean. a while back i was actually having quite a good time' date=' studies were going well had a few parties planned and when i get home from school i find out that my gran has been admitted to a hospital about 50 miles away after having an extremely bad heart attack. it practically destroyed her heart and she died 2 days later when life support was switched off (while angry about it at the time, i see sense in it now since there was no way she could have recovered and due to her age and various medical conditions there was no way se'd even be considered for a heart transplant.)

After that i fell out with someone i had been friends with for about 5 years failed my english exam and was generally depressed for about three months and was pretty anti social for a while. when i got back to school i was in a few more fights than usual and worried about various classes and the fact that my grandpa was ill (we thought it was only a cold at that time but i was still worried since my gran had just died pretty much)anyway just after christmas my grandpa was admitted to hospital because that"cold" hadn't gone away. turned out to be pneumonia all the doctors said he'd get better but he just got worse and died just under a year after my gran died and i went into a depression again. but after that it slowly got better especially after i got into uni. that was a crap time in my life.[/quote']

Sorry to hear that insane_alien. Glad you got through it, and to get yourself into Uni as well with so much to cope with is commendable. When I heard about my Mum, and actually thought I was going to lose her, it consumed me, I can't even describe how it felt, everything was so trivial around me.

I think through it all, despite my assignment wasn't as good as I'd hoped, the fact I needed to succeed, because that's what my Mum would of wanted, kinda helped...even though it was almost impossible to concentrate. I just kept on stopping and staring at nothing, feeling numb, but I just got spurred on thinking if it was me that was dying, I wouldn't want to get in the way of my son or daughter achieving their goal, whatever happend. Both my Mum and my Dad are pretty open minded thinkers, I really needed to look outside of things at the time, it helped.

I did a lot of staring into space as well. i just kind of drifted through life for a bit after it. most of its a blur but i was kind of surprised how i could still function as well as i did so soon after. i could sort of put it to the back of my mind but not for very long. and afterwards i felt guilty for making myelf forget for even that tiny amount of time so i could get stuff done. lots of irrational stuff. but anyways i don't want to do another big emotional outpouring. i done that at the time and i've moved on now, although occasionally i really miss them again like when i left highschool, got accepted into uni etc. probably again at graduation from uni but thats a few years in the future.

probably again at graduation from uni but thats a few years in the future.

Well, I don't think you'll have any problems going by your posts, you sure as hell know more than I do in the area of science...good luck anyway. As for emotional outpouring, it needs to be done now and again, nothing wrong with that IMO. Probably better to think they'd be proud of you.

I actually found it hard telling my friends how it felt...in fact I didn't, because I don't want to bother them with my problems a lot of the time...but they were very supportive all the same, luckily it only had to be endured for a while.

You guys are so lucky, my life went to hell 2 years ago, and shows no sign of letting up. I'll give you a rundown;

My cat died

My Great Uncle died

My grandmother went crazy

My other cat died

My mom was shot (she lived)

We moved

My other other cat died

We were sued

My sister had a siezure

Child services investigated my mother

Next?

You all have my deepest sympathy, and I'm really sorry to hear of both your losses. :-(

I really didn't intend this thread to provoke bad memories...I'm really sorry everyone. I should of made it clearer what I was trying to get across.

Erm, what I was trying to say (and I'm trying really hard not to devalue anything anyone has said...because I've clearly raised a very sensitive issue) but how in a few seconds there can be huge change in your life...for better or worse. Where it can be something as miniscule as just a fleeting thought, or a couple of words out of place, or a small act that can promote change that's far reaching. That's why I used a revelation as an example. I just used my example because it's what lead to me realize how quickly everything can just turn about.

Yes I do consider myself a very lucky person indeed, there's a lot of people who really don't appreciate what they have, until it's gone.

People I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to cause anybody any sadness.