Where Science has lead the Modern man

Guest srirambalu

I never said it was nice, it is a fact of life. People will never live in harmony, as long as there is diversity there will be conflict.

When talking about population control I REALLY don't think the word nice should even be mentioned...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest srirambalu

Energy crisis cannot be under estimated. It is as big as the Y2K problem. Only difference is that the dates may be different to different countries, the dates haven't been determined and there is less awareness about it.

Using fossil fuels was like inheriting a million dollars. Replacing fossil fuels with alternatives is like working from scratch to earn a million dollars.

Srirambalu:

I have some empathy with what I perceive to be your general drift, although I may have got it wrong.....

However, Using eastern mysticism, gurus, sages etc. as authority for your arguments does not help.

It is as if I had stated a fact and quoted God as a reference. I would automatically and rightly be ridiculed for using an unproven authority.

You might begin again by using non-secular arguments. I think your position would still be tenable. Perhaps pose a question such as "is the pursuit of hard science for its own sake, together for the dash for short term profit leading us to environmental disaster?"

Plenty of scenarios and examples to support that premise.

Energy crisis cannot be under estimated. It is as big as the Y2K problem. Only difference is that the dates may be different to different countries, the dates haven't been determined and there is less awareness about it.

Using fossil fuels was like inheriting a million dollars. Replacing fossil fuels with alternatives is like working from scratch to earn a million dollars.

Y2K wasn't a problem it was a load of bunk. We already are replacing fossil fuels with alternatives, like solar, wind, nuclear and bio-diesel.

When talking about population control I REALLY don't think the word nice should even be mentioned...

I was saying it WASN'T nice, srirambalu said that it was, sarcastically however.

Guest srirambalu
However, Using eastern mysticism, gurus, sages etc. as authority for your arguments does not help.

I'm not quoting authorities to support my point. That was just when "YT2095" asked about my background.

Perhaps pose a question such as "is the pursuit of hard science for its own sake, together for the dash for short term profit leading us to environmental disaster?"

That's exactly my point. We cannot go backward, but we should think before going forward either. My argument is, we have come this far mindlessly and it is dangerous to keep continuing. We should first check the brake before picking up speed.

but that`s Not the fault of Science or Scientists is it.

Agree. Hard science is cold and impersonal. Scientists have little control over their discoveries. It is those who control and exploit science who need to be reigned back and questioned.

Guest srirambalu

Scientists are nice people. They want to explore all possibilities and only the exploiters make the wrong choices.

The inventor of the atom bomb was very much against its use, but had no control over it.

We invent a remote control for a camera and the terrorists use it to detonate a bomb from a distance.

We can't deny the fact that science opened up the possibility. No one is to blame. Modern man requires lot of psycho analysts because the possibilities to harm each other have increased.

it`s just clicked, you`re a harry krishna aren`t you!?

damn, I Knew there was something bugging me, you accost folks on the streets and try to sell them the Gita etc...

it all makes sense now :)

it`s just clicked' date=' you`re a harry krishna aren`t you!?

damn, I Knew there was something bugging me, you accost folks on the streets and try to sell them the Gita etc...

it all makes sense now :)[/quote']

Between us we appear to shaken him from histree.

well I did wonder at the vagueries and the almost One-Sideness in way of concessions made for valid points. he may not in Fact BE a harry krishna bugging folks at airports, but his user name Sri, points that way :)

indoctrinated and brainwashed, with certain little Catchphrases and wordings as if reciting someone else all the while.

Science and Scientists are NOT the problem! but if you`re "taught" this is the case, then you will get such Thread Titles as this and the dismissal of valid points (with convenient subject changes).

I`m just glad this in General Disscusion, b`coz that`s where I`de have moved it to if it wasn`t :)

Guest srirambalu

That was a good joke.

If scientists have no voice over their controllers, only spiritual teachers have to come to their rescue. :)

Guest srirambalu

That's very humiliating. I'm not taught, but I just was opening up my concerns. I don't want to wrestle any further.

it wasn`t actualy That Much of a joke, I was only Half kidding.

and I still don`t buy your reasons for being here, you`re a luddite, and that ok too, but much of this smats of Preaching, and preaching Badly too :(

I will listen to anybody who makes sense and try to drive sense into who doesn't make sense.

you`ll drive Nothing here UNLESS it makes sense, and thus far, not much of it has :(

and I`m not Wrestling with you (I don`t do that), I AM trying to explain though.

Guest srirambalu
Originally posted by Pleiades:

The fact that out energy needs are growing at a rapid rate complicates things somewhat, I’m still working on that one.

Pleiades, Any update on that?

Yes. I personally don’t think devoting 0.69% of our land to gathering energy is a big deal, since we already use 1% for growing crops. But the fact that there is only so much renewable energy available on earth still remains. If the global energy needs increase to the point where the demand for energy exceeds the supply, the system will just undergo a self correction. Eventually the system will reach equilibrium.

Guest srirambalu

Thanks Pleiades. After all the hard work of people, the fact still remains that a self correction will happen. When that happens it is not going to be pleasant. I hope there was a better way to handle the problem than self correction.