Instant Alcohol High

alt_f13

Sometimes when I drink, I get and instant but fleeting high soon after the acohol touches my tongue.

Is it going into my bloodstream or is it the placebo effect? Bit of both? Some type of chemical preparation made by the brain for recieving alcohol (which would just be the placebo effect wouldn't it)?

the underneath of the tongue being such a thin membrane will rapidly absorb alcohol also, hence you can get drunk very fast drinking with a straw (but it doesn`t last long).

the french had a way in the 1800`s called a "wine douche" too (I wont go into details) but the small intestines function is to rapidly absorb liquids from the illium(sp?) it works with all manor of liquids too! YUCK!

so part of the effect could also be attributed to that.

in order to find out for sure though, get a friend to perform a blind test on you, 2 alc free beer and 2 with alc, plug your nose (as that effects taste) and then try it. if you get a "hit" wirite down A B C or D and then compare to your friend who poured them :)

Blind test it is then :)

I had a better idea about 15 secs after posting my last one.

get some Vodka and a strong soda drink that you like Coke Cola or something, still use the 4 glasses, but put the vodka in one of them that only your friend knows and do it that way, still use the nose plugs so there`s no advantage, and if you can , be blind folded too. that would be a fairer test, rather than different beers :)

The word Placebo is Latin loosely translated as 'I shall please'. It's usually an inert or pointless substance. After having a huge argument with some bloke about his idea that aspirin and paracetamol were placebos, who exactly is it that's going around suggesting that they are? I agree that the majority of the pill is caffeine or some such powder, how did that translate to it being placebo and not just 'bulking out'?

That's what I suggested. He didn't take it to well, and I got some sanctimonious primary school teachers ganging up on me. I got quite pissed off, actual teachers of 5 to 11 year olds who thought aspirin and paracetemol were placebos. Can you imagine your kids going to school that they taught that in?

What laughs! Chewy, chewy aspirin fun.

the only thing of no medicinal value in either if the buffering agent (magnesium stearate usualy) or the enteric coating.

there`s been many cases of folks over dosing on paracetamol, with no imediate effect, most die a few month latter with acute liver and kidney damage. and I know aspirin`s real because I`ve used it in the past to make phenol compounds. they deserve shooting for telling kids stuff like that :(

Friend of mine consumed 20-odd paracetemol tables when he was a teenager, had to get his stomach pumped. Another time another only had herbal painkillers, they didn't have nearly the same effect. Science in action!

yeah, alot of OTC herbal stuff`s quite harmless, but you`de have to crazy to say that REAL herbal medicine is weak or useless or unscientific, think of Opium, or cannabis, coffee, fox gloves (digitalis), belladona, deathcap mushrooms, or the simple bark off an ordinary tree that contains aspirin precursors :)