Hello.. classical physics question

gaara

hello... please help me with this question. thanks.

A small block of mass 2 kg is held against the side of a larger block of mass 10 kg which sits on a frictionless floor. The small block does not touch the floor and does not slip down as the blocks move across the floor. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.4. The smallest acceleration the two blocks can have is

a) 2.5 m/s2

b)4.9 m/s2

c) 5.4 m/s2

d) 9.8 m/s2

I think the 10kg block can be factored out of this also, may as well just call it a surface.

so basicly you`re asking how fast will the surface have to be accelerating to pin the 2kg block (to the back of the car seat) with a static attraction of 0.4.

whatever a static attraction of 0.4 is??? grams?

beats me LOL :)

I think the 10kg block can be factored out of this also' date=' may as well just call it a surface.

so basicly you`re asking how fast will the surface have to be accelerating to pin the 2kg block (to the back of the car seat) with a static attraction of 0.4.

whatever a static attraction of 0.4 is??? grams?

beats me LOL :)[/quote']

Actually I think the 10 kg block factors into the solution. The coefficient tells you the frictional force in terms of the normal force, in this case caused by the acceleration.