2 billion degree temp at Sandia Lab

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Dang, this is old news. And I had ready to be posted in the news forum, too.

I've noticed you tend to look into things in depth. Do you have any word on how they measure the temperature, and what people think may be causing such an extreme spike in temperature?

I am curious---the figure 2 billion kelvin is surprising (and even makes me a bit skeptical, I just dont have any reason to doubt). but although I'm curious I have not made time to read carefully and find out more about it.

So I would welcome some more news reporting about this or some more discussion in one of the threads.

maybe a very basic physics fact should be mentioned here, in case it would contribute some intuition

several in this thread doubtless know that if you have two parallel wires and if you put DC thru them in the same direction

then the wires will attract each other and I have seen wires carrying DC actually BOW IN towards each other like knock-knee parens ")( ".

if you had a circle of parallel, forming a cylinder and you put DC thru them all in the same direction (all up or all down) then these wires would all attract each other and pull each other in towards the center

in this experiment at the same time as the wires are scrunching together they are also vaporizing and the vapor is ionizing into plasma and maybe the magnetic field is trapped by the plasma and it continues to contract the plasma.

I don't know about this last part. but the main thing is that two currents in the same direction attract each other (and if they go in the opposite direction the wires actually bow apart, like "()" parenthesis or cowboy legs.)

if nobody needed that basic magnetism review or tutorial, I apologize. it has to do with Capt. R saying "implode"----it is part of the implode mechanism

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...