Evolution towards psychic abilities

aman

"Natural " selection no longer applies to H. sap except perhaps by resistance to some otherwise lethal diseases . Human evolution is regressive due to modern medical techology perpetuating ( to reproductive success ) in the human genome line deleterious genes
Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you, then I started thinking. There are two ways in which your argument is flawed.

1. The majority of the world population does not have the benefit of anything other than the most basic medical technology. (Just check how many thousands of children are dying each week from dysentry.)

2. We are still working with instincts honed in tribes of between thirty and one hundred people. The application of some of those instincts today is largely responsible for wars and racism.

So, there are two major areas in which selection pressures are still in place.

(I do agree that in the west our evolution is apparently regressive, but perhaps that is just nature's way of increasing gene diversity!icon7.gif)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, some of the genes that we consider detrimental could be helpful

obesity, there are several genes that mitagate fat processing (anybody seen a genetisist) now while this is detrimental in modern society in the event of a global catastrophe it is actually a benefit, because a slower metabolism allows you to eat less.

also cancer and other such ailments that come after the age of 30-40 are not factors in natural selection. as natural selection only applies to those incapable of producing children (or surviving long enough to)

if everyone was only allowed to have children after they turned 40 then only genes that could allow a person to survive for that amount of time would continue through the gene pool. then later if you changed the requirement to 50 and then 60 over the course of several hundred years. the average life span would have been greatly increased.

this has been studied using fruit flies

I believe if you continued like that the average male would be required to live until the age of fifty so you would eliminate most genes on the y chromosone that are detrimental (only if you did this for dozens of generations). and many other genes that are detrimental to your health that affect males as well as females

a genetisist would be better at analyzing and explaining that case better than I could

I believe if you continued like that the average male would be required to live until the age of fifty so you would eliminate most genes on the y chromosone that are detrimental (only if you did this for dozens of generations). and many other genes that are detrimental to your health that affect males as well as females

a genetisist would be better at analyzing and explaining that case better than I could

So the anti-plague gene has thinned out. No wonder! With improved sanitation and understanding of disease, the plague asserts very little affect the gene pool. What good is having an immunity to a disease YOU ARE NEVER EVEN EXPOSED TO? Your special genes really play no role there.

This may be the case with psychic abilities (by the way, we have yet to say what that means). If the situations in which these abilities would prove helpful never present themselves then what good are they? Further discussion really depends on our defining "psychic". Does it mean "can read minds", "can read the future", "can open pop cans with sheer will power"...

=)

So the anti-plague gene has thinned out. No wonder! With improved sanitation and understanding of disease, the plague asserts very little affect the gene pool. What good is having an immunity to a disease YOU ARE NEVER EVEN EXPOSED TO? Your special genes really play no role there.

This may be the case with psychic abilities (by the way, we have yet to say what that means). If the situations in which these abilities would prove helpful never present themselves then what good are they? Further discussion really depends on our defining "psychic". Does it mean "can read minds", "can read the future", "can open pop cans with sheer will power"...

=)

Guest Chrispy

This may be the case with psychic abilities (by the way' date=' we have yet to say what that means). If the situations in which these abilities would prove helpful never present themselves then what good are they? Further discussion really depends on our defining "psychic". Does it mean "can read minds", "can read the future", "can open pop cans with sheer will power"...

=)[/quote']

...Actually there is some truth to this, I myself became better aware of my "powers" after a very stressful ordeal in my personal life and I hear other psychics don't even know about their powers until something big happens in their life. For myself, it happened around when I was 15, so maybe puberty also is a factor?

• 8 months later...

Well as someone with limited quasi-psychic abilities heres some thought on such powers enhancing survivability. What if you could tell what is going to happen before it does, read and perhaps influence the emotions of others, know when your in danger without any clue as to what that danger is, and more, BUT, what if all these abilities functioned about 5 to 10 % of the time. Probably wouldnt do much to enhance your survival. Especially if it came with the severe emotional side effects of not being able to control what types of thoughts and emotions you could pick up on. Might even lower a persons survivability

• 10 years later...

hmmm...interesting argument. I like it :)

But of course, just for the sake of argument, i will step to the plate.

Your argument assumes two things (actually three) things.

1) Psychic abilities is an advantage

2) It is large enough of an advantage to be selected for

3) The gene for psychic ability is not located near to a gene that is detrimental to survival.

As far as assumption 1 goes, perhaps there are drawbacks to this ability. LIke depression resulting from being able to see the future. Or perhaps knowing the future causes you to act more cazily than if you did not. On the whole, however, these seem to strech a bit, so i would agree that psychic ability would seem to lend an advantage. At the very least, being able to see the future or far away doesn't seem like it should be disadvantagous.

Which leads us to point 2. That is, that psycic ability is not strong enough to be infuenced by selction pressures. If something does not really effect us one way or the other, then it is not really selected for. Take wisdom teeth, for instance. For the most part, having wisdom teeth is a disadvantage, for they do not really fit into our modern mouths. Thus, having wisdom teeth can cause great pain or infection when the emerge. However, it is not really that much of a disadvantage, becuase we know how to deal with these problems now. As such, there is really not much pressure being exerted for or against wisdom teeth and the frequency of wisdom teeth just kinda floats around in a population. This is known as "genetic drift."

The point being that this could also be the case with pychic abilities. That is, they are advantagous, but not really all that much, so there is not a whole lot of selection pressure selecting for it. THus, we find that psycich abilities would not really be selected for.

Lastly, the psychic gene could be located really close to a gene that is heavily disadvantageous. Perhaps a gene associated with parkensins disease or something. Thus, the harmful gene would be selected against and the psycic gene would reduce in frequency as a result of this.

Well, i lied, i guess there is one more reason. Perhaps psychic abilities are present in potential but the ability to use them must be learned. Thus, since psychic abilites are somewhat dismissed in our society, most people would not ever learn how. This is not really a genetic reason, but i thought i would throw it out for fun :)

Anywyas that is my thougts for right now. Cool.

There's another reason who it might not be common. It would be called "genetic culling". That is, suppose a family did have strong psychic powers. What would happen to that family? They'd likely be outnumbered by mobs who would burn them as witches. Or they might find they have troubles in the romance department as everything about a person is written out like it's on a page.

Psychic ability might be a survival advantage but not a social one.

There is also the possibility that the bulk of the population does have this gene, but due to a social climate that isn't very open, most people either never learn to use them, or if they had, hide them for their own survival. In essence, the absence of psychic ability is not an absence of evidence for it, but evidence that our society is not sophisticated enough to deal with it.