-275'C absolute Zero

Guest ManOfKent

Guest ManOfKent

I heard off a mate yesterday that the lowest temp pos is -275'C which is absolute Zero. It is not posable to reach this temp due to the fact that to contain somthing 100%, is imposable as any contained substance will in fact be touching the sides of the container, thus energy will be flowing in to the target. is there anyway of knowing just what would happen to anyitem, if all the engergy was removed by reaching -275'C... and would the same thing happen as when you burn something?

let me know, im intrested to hear more on absO.

it`s -273c or 0 degrees Kelvin you refer to :)

it`s the lowest theoretical temprature possible -273.16 deg C

it`s calculated buy the freezing points of Hydrogen and helium to when they become a solid (like Ice) and the differential between them.

he`s quite probably correcet, o Kelvin has yet to be obtained, we can get with in a few fractions of a degree close to it, but not to "Absolute" according to certain ideas, at this 0 kelvin, even an electron orbit will be halted! and the "ideal gas" will actualy vanish! (neat stuff huh!)

I don`t understand what you mean about burning something though?

I've done some google searching and absolute zero seems to be the state where an atom loses transferable energy but still maintains enough energy for its own identity. If that is true then less than absolute zero would need to be reached to collapse an atoms integrity.

Just aman

Lowest temp I know is -273.15 C, or like you guys say, absolute zero.

Just to add on to glider's comments:

The group led by Wieman and Eric Cornell made the first Bose-Einstein condensate in 1995, at a temperature just 200-billionths of a degree Celsius above absolute zero. Now, with experience, they've learned to make them at the "balmy" temperature of one-millionth of a degree above zero.

http://whyfiles.org/052einstein/bose.html

200 billionths of a degree it seems like we can achieve.

=/

I've done some google searching and absolute zero seems to be the state where an atom loses transferable energy but still maintains enough energy for its own identity. If that is true then less than absolute zero would need to be reached to collapse an atoms integrity.

Cool. Just thought i would add some to this too :)

The way i understand it, at 0 K all motion does not stop (as alot of people think), rather, all substances, at 0 K are perfectly ordered. That is, they are all in their lowest quantum states.

Also, one reason why we can't get to 0 K is due to specific heats (which is defined as amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of a substance 1 degree celcius, for those of you who may not know this ;) ) of substances. It seems that the closer to 0 K you get, they larget the specific heat of things get. So much so, that when you get to 0 K, a substance's specific heat is at infinity! Thus, you would have to remove an infinite amount of energy from a substance in order to get it down to 0 K.

OF course this could be wrong, i am just going off of what i remember from my phyisical chemistry classes :P

Originally posted by VendingMenace

Cool. Just thought i would add some to this too :)

The way i understand it, at 0 K all motion does not stop (as alot of people think), rather, all substances, at 0 K are perfectly ordered. That is, they are all in their lowest quantum states.

Also, one reason why we can't get to 0 K is due to specific heats (which is defined as amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of a substance 1 degree celcius, for those of you who may not know this ;) ) of substances. It seems that the closer to 0 K you get, they larget the specific heat of things get. So much so, that when you get to 0 K, a substance's specific heat is at infinity! Thus, you would have to remove an infinite amount of energy from a substance in order to get it down to 0 K.

OF course this could be wrong, i am just going off of what i remember from my phyisical chemistry classes :P

Hmm, so if we obtained some sort of super automatic refrigerator, we could potentially remove infinite ammounts of energy from a single particle? That does not seem right to me since E=mc^2. And if it were possible, we should be able to reach light speed using that energy, since c=(E/m)^(1/2) ;).

Perhaps that means particles can only reach light speed at 0 K.

What termperature is light at?