Energy of Electricity in Brain

Today my biology teacher said that psychic connections can be explained by one brain picking up on the electrical and magnetic fields of another (hence seeing their thoughts). It occurs naturally with people you know well, such as husband and wife, family, close friends, that you will say something you are thinking and that person will say they were just thinking the exact thing. I have had this happen to me before, and the line of thought shared is often not an invevitable addititon on communication currently taking place.

This makes sense to me, but i was not aware that the electrical fields of the brain were powerful enough to be comprehensively detected and communicated from one person to another. What do you know?

I know that the brain generates enough electricity to light a 10 watt light bulb all the time. I know also that to detect this electrical activity requires close contact, i.e. electrodes attached directly to the scalp as in EEG.

What I don't know is whether your biology teacher included words such as 'it has been suggested that' psychic connections 'may possibly' be exlained? Otherwise, I wonder why your biology teacher is providing explanations as to the mechanisms of function of a phenomenon that has yet to be shown to exist.

I'd be tempted to say that your teacher is a bit of a goofball. I'd be a bit worried that they were expressing personal opinions in schools, mind you I have a few friends teaching who worry me.

Husband and wife, family, close friends etc knowing what the others are thinking has nothing to do with psychic connections so far as I'm aware. I think it's simply cognitive logic, the prediction of an event based on the analysis of thousands of situations of a similar nature.

I wonder where that theory came from though? I hope it's not on your exam!

Well i could agree with you, but theres a reason. We are in Utah, likely she comes of Mormon background, the dominant religion here, and so may have tendancy to be obligated to stretch known science to justify certain beliefs. ---- there i've considered that side, but why not---- they just said that brain fields would at least have affect in close range ,whether that effect could be analyzed into another brain evidently has not been experimented, but i see it as perfectly possible, setting asside religious bias that would obligate me to think so--- our minds can do amazing things. Common culture does not commonly take advantage of full potential, and so some loose faith in what we are capable of. If the electric fields cross into territory where another brain picks it up, i think that brain would be able to interpret it. I would say i have FAITH this is possible but then you might assume i am ignorant, but in a true state of openmindedness, we aught to know though it seems much, compared to what IS, we may know rather very little of it. Besides is there any evidence against it? It just doesn't seem likely i suppose.

I could also agree that its the brain drawing conclusions, but in case where a thought arose has nothing to do (as it appears) with prediction based on passed experience-- the level of calculations made by the brain would have to be unconcious and very complex (well in a way simple, as the functions to come make it happen are simple, but i did not think a better word, and it would be very complex to be comprehended by our concious self). ---- Which i do have faith that the brain has capability to make such elite calculations. Which is why i also believe that if the brain encountered electric fields coming from another brain, that it would be able to analyze them. Perhaps it becomes easier to understand a certain brain's outputs, after having more experience being exposed to that brain.

Glider said in post #4 :

Possibly. It would certainly be interesting to watch a person whose brain pulsed intermittently.

LOL, In a literal sense I guess it would :)

but the signals in our brain certainly do, like the traces on an EEG.

also each mental state has its own frequency, relaxed, sleep, stimulated, Alpha, Delta, theta, beta and so on.

I`m guessing that if it WERE possible, that would most likely be the media, certainly the 1`st place I`de look into.

I also wonder what would happen though, since wires attatched can pick up the weak electrical signals, if instead of a machine on the other end and a plotter, how about another person?

It would certainly be the Empirical way to test it, but I can`t see it working though somehow :)

• 2 months later...

simple coincidence.............

its always a law of nature,that out of certain number of times..certain number would always preceeed in a particular way....

there are so many people in the world,thinking....so if the thoughts of 2 people in the world are the same ,it wouldnt be a wonder......

i have support for my explanation....

1>they never occur to you in quick succesions(nether do coincidences)

2>they occur always with 2 (N) people all the time,so if you are among the N people at one period of the time its not a winder