Mental Illness = No Proof

who_knows

Hello there,

Has anyone found some proper medical proof that "Mental Disorders" exist other than in ones own mind.

I haven't seen anything that convinces me to believe that high Dopermine levels cause Schizophrenia or low Seratonin causes Depression.

If it were true altering these levels would cure the problem.But in reality it is obvious that it doesn't.

as for internet sites and stuff I`ve no idea, Glider would certainly be able to point you in the right direction though in way of names and books and references of research etc...

CAT scan have demonstrated quite remarkably the differences between a "Normal" brain and that of someone with a disorder, as have post mortem analysise of brain sections/slices shown chemical imbalances and for wants of a better word "Wiring" of dendrites and neurons and so forth.

a Bad mood or attitude or general demeanour doesn`t cause these changes, it`s these changes/differences that cause the outward display of such.

much of it DOES come down to "Chemicals" in the long run, and therefore Physical/pathological.

I`ll point out that I`m NO "Expert" in this area either, and so my wording maybe a little oversimplified!

a Bad mood or attitude or general demeanour doesn`t cause these changes, it`s these changes/differences that cause the outward display of such

Interesting understanding.

I myself am more inclined to realise that,say Depression and suicidal behaviour for instance are a result of Lifestyle reasons,Stressfull life events,

traumatic experience,financial situation etc...that lead to Negative thoughts(depression) rather than an out of the blue "chemical imbalance" theory with no reason behind it.

I came across a couple of interesting articles.

My colleague didn't ask the question that all patients, relatives and advocates should ask when told that a brain-biochemical problem lies at the root of someone's low mood or strange behaviour. She could have said: "Can I see the test results, please?" The truth is that, unlike all other doctors, psychiatrists do not do physical tests to confirm their diagnoses. The reason is simple: it is not seen as necessary to prove that there is something wrong with the brains of patients diagnosed as schizophrenic, bipolar, depressed and so on. The organic hypothesis, however, remains unproven

To date, studies have failed to demonstrate that people with the commonest psychiatric diagnoses have a brain-biochemical imbalance. The studies on all the main diagnostic categories of psychiatry are plagued by a significant problem: the people being tested have almost always already received psychotropic medication, so if there is a blood, brain or liver disorder, this may have been caused by the treatment. Physical tests on people diagnosed, but not yet treated, in the psychiatric system, would be the only way to find out if there were a difference between these people and the general public. This never happens, as most people first encounter a GP who, instead of asking for blood and other tests to demonstrate a psychiatric condition, simply prescribes a psychotropic drug or refers on to a psychiatrist.

Craig Newnes, MSc, Dip Clin Psych, is psychological therapies director for Shropshire's Community and Mental Health Services NHS Trust

Most people are surprised to learn that mental illness diagnoses such as schizophrenia, substance abuse, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, as well as compulsive behavior, anxiety, and depression are not based on any identifiable biological problem. There is no known physical or neurological abnormality, and no blood test, urine test, brain scan, or genetic marker by which it can be discerned. (Reference sources include: P. R. Breggin, "Talking Back to Ritalin," 1998; T. Colbert, "Broken Brains or Wounded Hearts," 1995; Szasz, "Insanity: the Idea and Its Consequences," 1990.)

Although some studies using CT scan and MRI have demonstrated quite remarkable differences between a normal brain and schizophrenia brain, some studies also indicated that some brains with similar differences have no schizophrenia. The chemical imbalances theory is also only a belief/theory. If interested, see the debate between Pfizer and MindFreedom: http://www.mindfreedom.org/mindfreedom/pfizerlies.shtml

This is why the diagnosis for schizophrenia is still based on the SYMPTOMS – what the person says and what the doctor observes, and judged by the DSM-IV (in US), not by checking brain chemical level or other lab tests, such as a CT scan, MRI, or blood tests etc. (these tests may be done to rule out other conditions that can cause symptoms similar to schizophrenia.). The fact is that we don't know what level of brain chemical is normal yet.

Sure, the physical causes of mental illnesses are poorly understood. The brain is an extremely complex machine. Beyond that, I'm not sure what's being asked. The brain is a physical object, so obviously, whatever is happening inside it has a physical cause. And obviously, chemical changes can profoundly affect consciousness. Take some LSD if you don't believe me...

Take some LSD if you don't believe me...

So,we are saying drugs (legal or illegal) alter the brain and may even result in permanent damage,but so called "Mental Illness" isn't caused purely by substance abuse and Psychiatry still has no way of treating the conditions they label as they don't even know the cause of them.

Unlike treating a Heart Attack which is near a 100% medical fact.Psychiatry

seems to be about 20% believable and the rest they tell you is about 80% deception.

If you've ever been to a Psych you will know what I mean

That's nothing new though.The effects of Drugs were known 3-4000 years ago.They still don't know the reasons why drugs do what they do.

What I'm saying is that the Medical speciality relating to "Mental Disorders"

has very much to learn before I anyway can put 100% trust in these people.

Fooling people by saying "take these pills for the rest of your life or you won't get better" is a lie,and they don't tell you 10 years down the line

you can end up with worse side effects than the condition you had in the first place.

Hello there' date='

Has anyone found some proper medical proof that "Mental Disorders" exist other than in ones own mind.

I haven't seen anything that convinces me to believe that high Dopermine levels cause Schizophrenia or low Seratonin causes Depression.

If it were true altering these levels would cure the problem.But in reality it is obvious that it doesn't.[/quote']Neither of these are causes. They are associated with the conditions. The knowledge that they are directly involved comes from the fact that dopamine blockers successfully control the positive symptoms of schitzophrenia, and drugs elevating serotonin levels (SSRIs etc.) alleviate many types of depression. However, neither are cures.

Sisyphus has it right really. When it comes to mental illness, it just shows how little is really understood about the brain and its function. However, I do think your being a little unfair. Your issue seems to be one of trust rather than any sound argument against the discipline, as if psychiatrists are out to 'fool' you, whereas physicians are not?

Neither are out to fool you. For some strange reason though, people put a lot more faith in physicians than psychiatrists. I don't know why this is at all. You say "Unlike treating a Heart Attack which is near a 100% medical fact.". What does this mean? The heart attack is fact, or the treatment? There are very few facts in medicine. Most of it, diagnoses, prognoses, best treatmeants are all based upon probabilities.

Moreover, people usually misuse the word 'cure'. Do you think coronary heart disease can be 'cured'? Do you think drugs like angiotensin 'cure' hypertension? Do you think renal failure can be 'cured'? No. You can be given a new heart, or a new kidney (neither of which 'cure' the original condition), but then you're going to have to take immunosuppressants for the rest of your life (drugs like CYA or FK-506). The side effects of these can be severe as your immune system will be impaired. Can diabetes be 'cured'? What can medicine actually cure? Is it fair to expect more of psychiatrists than of medics?

Do you think a heart attack can be 'cured'? Prior to the infarction, you can undergo coronary bypass surgery, or coronary angioplasty. These are preventative, not curative and sometimes, they don't succeed. Post infarction, there is nothing you can do to revivify the dead myocardium. You just have to hope that the damage was not too severe and try to get oxygen to the region to prevent further damage.

Medicine is nowhere near as certain a discipline as you seem to think. Where you say "Psychiatry seems to be about 20% believable and the rest they tell you is about 80% deception.", I would ask why you think this is? What would psychiatrists have to gain by deceiving you? Who would it benefit? Not the psychiatrist, certainly. Moreover, the same as physicians, psychiatrists are not allowed to deliberately deceive. It's against medical ethics, and being MDs, they are bound by the same rules of practice.

I think what's going on here is an issue of trust, probably compounded by disappointment stemming (probably) from the dashing of unrealistic expectations?

There is a lot of prejudice shown towards anything to do with mental illness. Did you ever wonder why charities like Breast cancer research (and cancer in general), HIV-AIDS, the Heart Foundation are well known, but no-one has heard of charities for schitzophrenia or depression or OCD etc.? It's because people are scared of these conditions. They don't understand them and too often, because 'medicine' can't come up with a 'medical' explanation, people often think these condition are not real and that the sufferer is somehow to blame. Such charities do exist, but due to prejudice, they are small and poorly funded.

If you are going to compare psychiatry with 'real medicine', you need to understand the realities of 'real medicine', or you can't be fair, and you are not being fair.

Has anyone found some proper medical proof that "Mental Disorders" exist other than in ones own mind...

Certain mental disorders have a significant biological element. This is very clear from "twin studies" where identical twins are separated as infants and raised in different environments.

Identical twins have the same DNA. Despite growing up in totally different environments (differing homelife, nutrition, education, etc), if one twin develops schizophrenia, there's about a 50% chance the other will. If one twin develops bipolar disorder, there's about a 40%-70% chance the other will.

Those probabilities are far above the background population, and cannot be influenced by environment since the twins are reared separately. The only item in common is DNA.

Why isn't the concordance 100%? Because environmental factors such as stress can trigger the disorder that would otherwise remain latent. One twin may not experience the stress that causes his condition to surface.

Also if all mental disorders were purely psychiatric, purely biological/pharmaceutical treatment wouldn't work. Yet over and over we see a good percentage of patients helped by these, even in cases where they are treated without their knowledge.

For example in the 1950s, doctors noticed depressed patients treated with a new tuberculosis drug called iproniazid were getting better. At first they thought the patients were just happy their TB was cured. Further study showed even non-TB depressed patients improved. The point is many patients treated without even knowing they were taking an antidepressant, yet they got better. Why? Because iproniazid is an MAO inhibitor that alters neurotransmitter levels in the brain.

There's definitely a place for psychiatric "talk therapies", but the evidence is overwhelming that certain mental disorders have a significant biological component. In some cases such as autism, MRI shows physical, anatomical differences in the brains of affected patients.

Good response Glider.Are you a practicing Psychologist?

I am starting CBT soon.I hope it turns out to be more helpful than the Shrinks I saw.

You are right to point out that my issue is partly a trust thing as well.Oddly enough I trust my General Doc more with Mental Health issues than dragon Psychiatrist I saw who prescribed me some poison then shoved me out of the door after 5 minutes and said come back in 3 months.I have my Doc saying one thing,Therapist another and Shrink something else.So now I tend to rely on myself than any of them.

I find Psychiatry is still very much trial and error experimentation on people.They can only go on how one describes how they feel and half the time someone with a Psychological problem cannot explain what is happening to them unlike with stomache ache or cold.

HIV-AIDS, the Heart Foundation are well known, but no-one has heard of charities for schitzophrenia or depression or OCD etc.? It's because people are scared of these conditions.

I do believe people are scared of those conditions and the sufferers,because

you sometimes hear on the news a Psycho patient has just stabbed someone and pushed them in front of the train,so then they have them all painted with the same brush.

Good response Glider.Are you a practicing Psychologist?
No, I'm an academic psychologist (lecturer/researcher).
I am starting CBT soon.I hope it turns out to be more helpful than the Shrinks I saw.
CBT is one of the most effective of the therapies. But you have to remember that in CBT (as in most therapies), you have to do the work.

Think of it like learning to play the piano. Your teacher can only show you how it's done and provide exercises that experience has shown work in the development of the skill. They can guide you and correct you and show you, but they can't actually instill in you the ability to play. It doesn't matter how good they are, if you don't practice, you will never be able play.

Learning to think/feel/behave differently is learning a new skill. In that, it is exactly like learning to play the piano.

This is where medicine and psychiatry differ. In medicine, the patient can (often) lie back passively and have corrective things done to them. In psychiatry/psychological therapy most often the therapist can only play the part of a guide/teacher.

You are right to point out that my issue is partly a trust thing as well.Oddly enough I trust my General Doc more with Mental Health issues than dragon Psychiatrist I saw who prescribed me some poison then shoved me out of the door after 5 minutes and said come back in 3 months.I have my Doc saying one thing,Therapist another and Shrink something else.So now I tend to rely on myself than any of them.
You really just need to pick one you trust. If CBT is to work, you'll need to be able to work with your therapist. As I say, he/she can only guide you. You'll have to do the work. They will support you, but they can't do it for you and in order for it to stand a chance, you'll have to trust them enough to be open with them.

I find Psychiatry is still very much trial and error experimentation on people. They can only go on how one describes how they feel and half the time someone with a Psychological problem cannot explain what is happening to them unlike with stomache ache or cold.
I do know what you mean. Medicine is very much the same. For example, whilst people can explain clearly that they have a stomach ache (as you say), that doesn't help determine whether it's mild food poisoning, Gastroenteritis, the beginnings of an ulcer, gas, referred pain from an inflamed appendix, an illial torsion, obstruction or infection. A person may be able to state clearly that "I have a stomach ache", but them the physician has to begin to narrow down the possibilities to the most probable through elimination and often, trial and error.

Physicians have the advantage of direct physical observation; blood tests (testing for infection), palpation, ultrasound scans etc. Psychiatrists have to undertake the same process of elimination, but they have none of the physical tools to help them. You have to ask yourself how surprising it is that the process takes longer and that errors happen.

HIV-AIDS, the Heart Foundation are well known, but no-one has heard of charities for schitzophrenia or depression or OCD etc.? It's because people are scared of these conditions.

I do believe people are scared of those conditions and the sufferers,because

you sometimes hear on the news a Psycho patient has just stabbed someone and pushed them in front of the train,so then they have them all painted with the same brush.

This is true. Of the hundreds of thousands of people who suffer from some form of psychological illness at some point in their lives, it only takes the media to get hold of one such story and people want to light torches, grab pitchforks and storm the castle screamning "Kill the monster".

Funny how none of the hundreds of thousands who infect others with HIV through unprotected sex receive the same coverage.

People fear psychological illness to such an extent that those suffering it (e.g. depression) are often afraid to seek help. They try to carry it alone and won't seek help because they fear the stigma attached to it. This only adds to the feelings of isolation and helplessness which compound the original problem.

The fear people have of psychological illness is odd, because as far as I know, psychological illnesses aren't contagious. As a general rule, the only person at risk in cases of severe psychological illness is the sufferer. This cannot be said of many physical diseases; Resistant TB, denghi fever or any of the heamorrhagic viruses, flu, hepatitis, HIV, measles, mumps, chicken pox or any of the herpes variants, STDs etc., etc..

There is an odd phenomenon that occurs in psychological illness in which the patient becomes the condition in the minds of others. For example, people with schitzophrenia are usually called 'schitzophrenics'. People with anorexia nervosa or bulimia are called 'anorexics' or 'bulimics'. Can you think of a single 'physical' illness in which this happens?

It is a form of labelling and a part of the reason that stigma still surrounds people with these conditions. The only thing that can be said for these labels is that they are extremely adhesive. It's just another form of prejudice.

Glider,

Do you know about Sleep disorders?

I've had Chronic Insomnia for years.Sometimes going without any sleep for 10 day cycles.I think it's down to my crap lifestyle(or lack of) personally.During my initial assessment with the Therapist she said CBT will help.

So far I've been on sedating Anti-Depressants(Mirtazapine,Trazadone),Benzos

and Hypnotics.I still can't get tired even taking all of them at the same time and they stoped working after a week.So far exercise has been the most beneficial so far.

So you can see why I'm not a great believer in Psychiatric drugs.Apparently Insomniacs are the Docs worse patients and I was supprised read In my "say goodnight to Insomnia" book that Docs only have one hour dedicated to sleep disorders throught their entire medical training.

According to the Psych and Doc,It's either Anxiety or Depression which

is the cause.Personally I'm not sure whether the Insomnia is causing the Anxiety/Depression or the Anxiety/Depression causing Insomnia :confused:

Glider' date='

So you can see why I'm not a great believer in Psychiatric drugs.Apparently Insomniacs are the Docs worse patients and I was supprised read In my "say goodnight to Insomnia" book that Docs only have one hour dedicated to sleep disorders throught their entire medical training.

:[/quote']

Apparantly in the U.k. this figure is signifcantly less with doctors having less than 20 minutes on the subject.

Glider' date='

Do you know about Sleep disorders?[/quote']No. I'm afraid I know very little about them. They were never my area of research.

I've had Chronic Insomnia for years.Sometimes going without any sleep for 10 day cycles.I think it's down to my crap lifestyle(or lack of) personally.During my initial assessment with the Therapist she said CBT will help.
If it is due to a crap lifestyle, then CBT will definitely help. Its function is to help you to adjust the way you think and behave (why it's called cognitive behavioural therapy).
So far I've been on sedating Anti-Depressants Mirtazapine,Trazadone),Benzos and Hypnotics.I still can't get tired even taking all of them at the same time and they stoped working after a week.So far exercise has been the most beneficial so far.
Well, that's a start. You've found something that has an effect. You could build on that.
So you can see why I'm not a great believer in Psychiatric drugs.
Well, these drugs would only help if you were depressed or anxious. Moreover, if you're sedated through hypnotics and sedating antidepressants, what are you likely to be doing that would make you naturally tired? Not a lot I would imagine. These things don't help you sleep. Even sleeping tablets are only partly useful. There are two types; one type just calms you to help you drift off. The other just knock you out. But that's not sleep. You come round after 8 hours feeling just as crappy because you haven't undergone a natural sleep cycle, you've just been unconscious.
Apparently Insomniacs are the Docs worse patients and I was supprised read In my "say goodnight to Insomnia" book that Docs only have one hour dedicated to sleep disorders throught their entire medical training.
That's entirely possible. Consider the total number of conditions that exist and try to imagine the number of years of medical training it would take to cover them all in depth. No medic would ever get to practice before retirement. That's why we have a system of referral. Your doctor, having isolated the problem should then refer you to a speciallist in sleep disorders or an appropriate therapist.
According to the Psych and Doc,It's either Anxiety or Depression which is the cause.Personally I'm not sure whether the Insomnia is causing the Anxiety/Depression or the Anxiety/Depression causing Insomnia :confused:
Well, let's think about it for a minute. You say the hypnotic anti-depressants are not effective at letting you sleep. Ok, well if the insomnia was cause by the anxiety/depression, then alleviation of the anxiety/depression should relieve the insomnia. If it doesn't then it would seem more likely that the anxiety/depression is being caused by the insomnia, although, of course, being anxious/depressed will certainly not help the insomnia, so it's a nasty cycle. Insomnia causing anxiety/depression which compounds the insomnia. I suppose throwing some anxiolytics/hypnotics at the problem would be a reasonable stab at breaking the cycle if it was a simple as that. It rarely is though.

You have said yourself that "exercise has been the most beneficial so far". Exercise is a behaviour and the fact that it shows some beneficial effect would support the hypothesis that a crap lifestyle is the principal factor.

I don't know what your lifestyle is, so I can't begin to guess what particular things about it might be causing the problem, or what changes might be most effective, but a CB Therapist could help you to alter it in ways that would help.

People are often put off by the thought that kind of change. They usually think everything has to change, and that they'll have to end up living like Spartans, but that's never the case. More often than not, small changes are all it takes. But even small changes involve learning a new set of habits, so they do have to be practiced.

One useful analogy is connected to spyware and viruses and computer operation. If one's computer has these things, the hardware may still work fine and appear to show no outward signs of problems, but the operating system will act strangely. If one only looks for outward hardware changes (chemical changes) as the basis for psychological evaluation, than viruses (disorders) may not appear to exist, even though they are in the computer doing harm (phenomena similar to software affecting the personality).

I would like to give an extreme example of competing software causing problems. Picture a young farm boy brought up in the bible belt. At 18 he joins the marines to fight for his country. The marines attempt to program him into a fighting machine who can deal with hardship, etc.. On the day of his first battle, he freezes. Although, he and the marines thought he was reprogrammed, his early bible behavior software was still working in the unconscious background and created an inhibition to killing. Alternately, he could have done well in battle and had a righteous kill, but days later he begins to show signs of battle fatigue. The bible behavior software was only repressed consciously, but at some unconscious level it begins to plague him with guilt, that creates symptoms similar to battle fatigue. In both cases, there is no hardware problems, unless behavior lingers for a long time, yet the two conflicting software causes the entire operating system to freeze.

Of course, the brain is the most amazingly complex system in the known universe....and we understand very little of it. But to say that just because we do not understand a phenomenon , the phenomenon does not exist at all is to make a fundamental logical error. We do not understand even the least bit about how consciousness is generated in the brain....does it mean that we are unconscious? We do not understand the basis of emotions and decision making....but does it mean that we cannot feel these emotions or make decisions? The most important psychiatric disorder are disorders of such very systems. So when we have very sketchy understanding of the normal phenomenon, it is difficult to have a more concrete understanding of their disorders.

I do not dispute that a lot of psychiatry is empirical, but the empirical proof of psychiatric disorders is enormous. And the contributions of these empirical treatment strategies has been huge. But as neuroscience makes more advances, psychiatric therapeutic approaches can only get better.

One useful analogy is connected to spyware and viruses and computer operation...If one only looks for outward hardware changes (chemical changes) as the basis for psychological evaluation, than viruses (disorders) may not appear to exist, even though they are in the computer doing harm (phenomena similar to software affecting the personality)....days later he begins to show signs of battle fatigue. The bible behavior software was only repressed consciously, but at some unconscious level it begins to plague him with guilt...

Actually what was once called "battle fatigue" is now understood to often be latent mental health disorders triggered by stress. This is obvious since many soldiers undergo the exact same environment, yet only some develop it.

That is how depression and some other mental disorders work. There's a latent problem that surfaces only under stress. The stress could be any kind of emotional trauma -- family abuse, divorce, or battlefield stress.

There is unquestionably a major biological component to many mental health disorders. This is proven beyond a doubt by studies of identical twins who are raised apart.

We daily accept chemically-induced modification of mood and emotions. Anybody who has consumed caffeinated coffee or alcohol can attest to that. Just as those external chemicals can influence your mood and emotions, with some people internal biochemical factors can.

Some tend to view brains as identically prepared race cars, where drivers have 100% of the responsibility for winning or losing. If he loses you blame him -- he has the same car everyone else does.

However it turns out our brains are not like identically prepared cars, or computers. They are each biochemically very different, and some people have significant neurobiological problems that affect mood and emotion. This can have a profound influence on them, just like a heavy dose of alcohol or caffeine can affect a person.

That doesn't mean there's no place for talk therapies. Through emotional trauma or poor coping skills a person could develop serious problems requiring professional psychiatric help. However without acknowledging the often biological component of mental health disorders, you're possibly only treating part of the problem.

I agree that both software and hardware problems can exist. Often it is a combination of the two. But it is not often clear which came first, the chicken or the egg. For example, depression can stem from events within one's life. Dwelling on the events/problem for too long can then create a thought/emotional loop that will alter the chemical environment of the brain, perpetuating the loop (subroutine). Anti-depression drugs can be very useful by altering the chemical environment of the brain so that the chemical/feeling aspect of the loop broken. The thought aspect can then slowly decay due to the alterred emotional/chemical environment. On the other hand, if the person's external environment reinforces the depression loop, one may form a drug addiction to avoid reactivating the depression. These cases may also need to be addressed with therapy.

There are cases where the biochemistry of the brain is the source of the emotional/thought loop. In these cases, altering the brain potential with drugs will be very effective and often permanent because they will address the underlying source of the disorder, since the thought aspect is more of an affect than a cause.

...it is not often clear which came first, the chicken or the egg...

That's exactly right. You can't tell, therefore clinicians must be prepared to treat either component. Constraints about only treating one or the other means addressing the problem with half your tools missing.

sunspot

Picture a young farm boy brought up in the bible belt. At 18 he joins the marines to fight for his country. The marines attempt to program him into a fighting machine who can deal with hardship, etc.. On the day of his first battle, he freezes. Although, he and the marines thought he was reprogrammed, his early bible behavior software was still working in the unconscious background and created an inhibition to killing.

There is a definate external cause of the stress/anxiety/fear here.

You will find there always is a reason.Psychologists and other therapists can see this,but a lot of Shrinks let themselves be blinded by science preventing them dealing with the real problem