Do they have good chem here?

chemfreak

you realize that he could have been asking about graduate studies.

anyway, i find it funny that you are "thinking of going" there. wait until harvard accepts you:rolleyes:

anyway, i took orgo 1 and 2 this summer at harvard. it was fun, and my professor was really amazing. you'll find that the harvard professors are really well educated and cool people to be around. my class was a whole lot of work because it was a full year condensed into 8 weeks (7 weeks of class really). but i've heard that harvard classes tend to be easier than, say, mit or uchicago classes.

As long as you can prove to Harvard, or any school for that matter, that you can make money for them they'll accept you. Grades truly are overrated, as are test scores. If you have the money, any school will accept you. The thought that 'I'm special because school such-and-such accepted me' is the biggest farce of all. You don't need to be "special" to be accepted by a school. You just have to prove to the school that you could possibly be a source of finances for them.

This is what a school looks at when accepting students:

1) Can this student pay us the money that we are asking from them?

2) If he/she cannot, is there a good chance that the student will be able to succeed in his/her field and provide donations to us later on? If so, we'll give him/her a scholarship.

3) If this student isn't the greatest of our applicant pool, will they at least be able to pay us what we're asking for and graduate while providing us with donations later on?

4): Is this a smart student who will get things done and improve our standing in regards to financial acquisitions?

EVERYTHING the colleges out there do is for money, not prestige or anything else. When a school accepts an applicant, they do so thinking about the money they can make. If you are a student who has the drive and show a school that you can suceed there you will be accepted anywhere you want to go.

When applying for college later on in life chemfreak, remember that getting rejected from a "higher learning instituation" doesn't mean that you aren't a good student. It most likely means that the school felt as though you couldn't make money for them. On the opposite side, if you get accepted by a "higher class institution" it doesn't mean your better than anybody else or that you know more than other people. It simply means that the school thought you could make them some money.

i disagree entirely.

some schools are that way, sure, but schools like harvard that have as much money as they have would rather keep their reputation than make money from tuition, because with their reputation they keep the money flowing to them (consider grants, donations, etc). stanford spends $30k/year on maintenance for each and every palm tree they have. many would call that excessive, but they can spend that much and do spend it.

in recent years, the philosophy of harvard admissions has been more of what the student would bring to the student body than whether the applicant would pass his/her classes. most people who apply to harvard would pass, if not do well in harvard classes, but they don't pick the best students. whether the kid could pay or his/her potential economic value 10 years down the road is less relevant to harvard, though you could say that they carefully craft their classes so that people will fondly look back on their college life and donate, but even then, the odds are low that the student would have much money to donate, let alone donate it.

• 3 months later...
My chances have increased!!!!! I have gotten excepted to Bishop's. If you live in La Jolla You know of the school(probably).

MEHHHHHHH its ACCEPTED... if you are going to post in this forum please use correct word usage.

homophones are the homoenemy

I heard there is a check list of things the universities look for when you apply, does anyone know what they are? I know if your part of a club of team is one of them but, whats the rest?