Conservative/Liberal Media

-Demosthenes-

This wouldn't happen to be revprez back trolling again after being twice banned, would it?
No, it's syntax252, and he's not trolling. Give credit where it's due. I always like his opinions, it's when he starts strawmanning that he detracts from the issues.

According to this study, Fox is centrist......

From time to time I look at what John Gibson and Bill O'Reilly have to say. I don't know how representative they are of FoxNews, but those guys are far from being moderate, despite the fact (joke?) that O'Reilly claim to be a centrist.

No, it's syntax252, and he's not trolling. Give credit where it's due. I always like his opinions, it's when he starts strawmanning that he detracts from the issues.

Aight, just making sure. I didn't want to end up in another argument like the one I had with "phcatlantis" who alleged the recently assaulted Kansas professor who was teaching ID as mythology faked his own assault and beating just to discredit his political opponents.

O'Reilly isn't a "centrist", but I wouldn't call him a "conservative" either, unless you absolutely insist that there are only two kinds of people in the world: liberals and conservatives. What O'Reilly is is a "popularist", which is somebody who takes the position that the people are paramount, and individual liberties are more important than laws.

This is reflected, for example, in his position that welfare is necessary, government oversight is more important than privatization, and corporations need to be checked and counter-balanced by laws and a ready populace because of their greed.

Yes, those are his actual positions. Not exactly a neo-con, is he?

• 2 weeks later...

If I was tortured by aliens asking me to name something great in Bill O'Reilly, I'll say that he doesn't do everything to fit into a label. The fact that he's lying so much is, however, makes him very unsympathic (to me at least).

But even if I agree he's not a neoconservative or even a paleoconservative, I'm 90% sure he would rank firmly in the right part of a "politicalcompass"-like map. Personally, I see him as a rather rightish populist, he is really strong on using superficial stereotypes to justify his point.