smells

i dont know if this is in the right catagory, move it if its not...

why do we find our own smells less offensive than other peoples? i can understand to the extent of not being able to smell it as much as other people when its something like BO, but other smells, like flatulence.... why are we generally less disgusted by the smells of our own creation than that of other people?

Probably due to the mere exposure effect (Zajonc, 1969). In brief, this shows that mere exposure to a stimulus (even on a preattentive level) increases our liking (or reduces our disliking) for it on subsequent exposure and particularly in comparison with other, novel stimuli.

Another factor is probably the fact that we are always more sympathetic to stimuli that resemble ourselves (including odour) or bear some familial resemblance. All part of the family group recognition thing.

Glider:

Another factor is probably the fact that we are always more sympathetic to stimuli that resemble ourselves (including odour) or bear some familial resemblance. All part of the family group recognition thing.

A safety thing too. If you can actually smell a horrible smell that came from you, it's not going to seem as dangerous as something that smells horrible from an unknown source.

I've heard people say something to the effect that they fear getting sick from a bad smelling person.

I always thought it was the "Surprise" factor, when you blow off, you`re more or less alert to the fact that something may start smelling within a certain time span, so it comes as no big surprise, this of course isn`t true if someone else does it and you can`t hear it.

Just an Idea :)

Well we're quite accustomed to warning each other in our household when we're about to 'cut the cheese' as it were...and warning or not, it's still very unpleasant...yet still funny, which I find more remarkable.

I think it's solely your own odour you can abide. Whether there's familiarity within a group (including families), odour is still unpleasant (if you disagree hang around a toilet after your Dad's been in there, it still smells as repellent and alien as anyone else relieving themselves.)