microscope

im 16 and im developing a huge interest in microbiology, and im thinking in buying a microscope, but they can be quite expensive, my question is: how strong microscope do you need to be able to see bacteria and unicelluar eukaryotes(sp?). i know the size can vary greatly, but im mostly interested in the bacillus-type. so im looking for something affordable but that lives up for my needs.

I one of similiar magnifying power as insane alien that my dad picked up somewhere. I don't remember if actualy paid any money for it.

So, check garage sales, and the like. Also, raid the rubbish bins of you local university or lab... those places are constantly replacing equipment that actually works fine. Or write to a professor and them that you an aspiring young biologist who needs a microscope in the pursuit of scientific exploration. You might get lucky.

If you can get one that can interface with your computer you'll ahve n even better time, though it will cost a bit more... Well worth the extra money though becuase the computer adds a hell of a lot of power too it such as resolving small features, accurate mgnification etc.

Good luck!

Ryan Jones

i found a great bargain, my only question si, will 900x be enough to see bacteria?

You should see something, 900x is pretty powerful most things considering :D

Bacteria are between 0.5 and 5.0 μm so you may be able to see then with a 900x scope you should :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I have a microscope with a top magnification of 400x (I haven't bothered to get a stronger one because my current research project is focused on extracting and amplifying DNA) and I could see blood cells decently well.

900x should be great, and if it's a bargain; go for it. Good luck with your interests; microbiology/genetics are my focus too and I think they're amazing.

I one of similiar magnifying power as insane alien that my dad picked up somewhere. I don't remember if actualy paid any money for it.

he actually stole it from his school

Or write to a professor and them that you an aspiring young biologist who needs a microscope in the pursuit of scientific exploration. You might get lucky.

you could post an ad like that in your local newspaper