Official pyrotechnics thread!

RyanJ

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, unfortunately Gilded is right. But things are changing in the Netherlands. In Amsterdam, last week, 33 sex-houses were closed. Most cities are banning the so-called "tippel-zones", places where people can sell themselves for quick sex. The Netherlands are becoming less liberal, and things are changing quickly.

The rules for pyrotechnics also will change. All EU-countries will grow towards each other and have the same rules. For the Netherlands this means that rules will be relaxed somewhat, but for the UK and Sweden things will be tightened. For many other countries things will not change very much.

The rules for pyrotechnics also will change. All EU-countries will grow towards each other and have the same rules. For the Netherlands this means that rules will be relaxed somewhat, but for the UK and Sweden things will be tightened. For many other countries things will not change very much.

Ah great. Before too long it will be impossible to get any chemicals at all unless you own a special licence to possess them or own a science research company. Not ideal for home chemists that are safety aware...

All together I think these developments will not be good for the home chemist. I purchase many chems from the UK, simply because I cannot buy them over here. If the Uk obtains the same rules as the Netherlands for selling chemicals, then things will become more difficult, not only for people from the UK, but also for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick question... Quite often hcb, parlon, pvc etc are added to star forumlas to give a better colour but why is this. I understand they act as a chlorine donor to provide a chloride ion for the reaction, but why does this result in a more intense colour?

• 1 month later...
Sadly, for every five or six competent and responsible chemists like many of us here, there are thirty or forty complete and total retards who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near chemicals.

I could not agree more, there are so many people who think they can just throw together a mixture and not have any safety preparations in case of a worst-case-scenario if there were less people like that the world would be a better place for all home-chemists

I could not agree more, there are so many people who think they can just throw together a mixture and not have any safety preparations in case of a worst-case-scenario if there were less people like that the world would be a better place for all home-chemists

Well, if you want to look at it kind of optomistically the people like that do tend to reduce in number on a daily basis. ;):D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
TACN (tetrammine copper (II) nitrate, a salt, having formula [Cu(NH3)4](NO3)2, which contains the deep blue tetrammine copper (II) ion. Here the NH3 is the reductor and the NO3(-) is the oxidizer: It decomposes thus:

Cu(NH3)4(NO3)2 ---> Cu + 2N2 + 6H2O

Here follows a picture of this stuff. Yeah, I made some of this. It is sufficiently stable to keep it in a display vial and showing it to people .

picture of this stuff <--- my question was relating to this link, sorry.

a K3wl is someone that would want to make large amounts of TACN :)

:D

I was the one who made that naughty post :D :D

I still have the TACN in its vial, so it stores really well. It still can be made popping when put in fire, but real detonations I did not have.

The CuO was just one way to het copper (II) nitrate in solution. So, I think it can also be done with copper, dissolved in nitric acid, but the complication is that NO2 is formed, and your solution will not only contain copper (II) nitrate, but NO2/N2O3 as well, which is not good for making TACN. So, if copper is used, instead of copper (II) oxide, then

(1) Perform the reaction OUTSIDE, due to formation of copious amounts of NO and NO2.

(2) After all copper is dissolved, boil the solution for a while, to drive off all remains of NO2/N2O3 from the solution.

Use excess copper, such that not all of it dissolves, not even after heating. That gives best yields.

Btw, I suddenly see that this is in a pyrotechnics thread. I would not really call this pyrotechnics, but that is another issue.

(1) Perform the reaction OUTSIDE, due to formation of copious amounts of NO and NO2.

I know.

(2) After all copper is dissolved, boil the solution for a while, to drive off all remains of NO2/N2O3 from the solution.

Oh... thanks :)

Btw, I suddenly see that this is in a pyrotechnics thread. I would not really call this pyrotechnics, but that is another issue.

Suddenly...? -.-

as you wish, back to topic :)

• 3 years later...

A little off the current topic here, but as far as firework colours go; potassium salts make a faint violet-like colour, and sodium salts make a orange-yellow that will drown out any other colour you have :(. Also, iron will make sparks that change in colour according to their temperature but are usually yellow.