The Truth Behind Add

The truth behind ADD

Many people don’t even believe the disorder exists, due to the fact that everyone seems to get diagnosed with it. If you are considering what ADD has been made out to be then yes your right it is a bullshit disorder. Many people say that lazy stupid people need an excuse to justify the fact they have nothing to offer so they get diagnosed with a bullshit disorder. This is also true in many ways. ADD is so misunderstood that an ADD person could easily get diagnosed with not having it. ADD is not a personality disorder as many would think. ADD people have physically different mind chemistry. For example coffee and other things with caffeine would put an ADD person to sleep where as most people would get an energy boost from it. This chemical twist around can lead to certain personality traits, but just because you have these personality traits does not make you ADD.

Basically as everyone knows, ADD is an attention deficit disorder. But the huge misconception is where ADHD comes into play. Many people tend to think that the reason for this lack of concentration is because of too much physical energy. This cannot be the case because nothing takes more physical energy then pure concentration. This physical energy gets confused often with mental energy, because technically all energy is directed by the mind. For examples when you are sleeping physically you are calm and rested, meanwhile the brain is more hyper then ever, having to de-fragment. When you are awake you are physically more active as your brain is more inactive. ADHD doesn’t exit. If someone is too energetic to sit calm and get a task done, lets say homework for example then the person has no discipline because the main thing it takes to get the homework done is the physical energy. When you have an overdose of mental energy, then you keep getting distracted, staring out into space without control, anything to keep you from pulling your hair out. So another basic misconception for the people who actually believe ADD to be a real disease is that they think the imbalance is too much physical energy, when really the imbalance is too much mental energy.

:eek:

For example coffee and other things with caffeine would put an ADD person to sleep where as most people would get an energy boost from it.

I don't have [acr=Attention Deficit Disorder]ADD[/acr] but I can say that this happens too me :D I can't sleep without my coffee!

I also know Attention Deficit Disorder exists because my brother has it... He cant concentrate for more than a minute, two at most.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I also know Attention Deficit Disorder exists because my brother has it... He cant concentrate for more than a minute' date=' two at most.

[/quote']

There's a lot of aspects of ADD / ADHD covered in this thread...

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=736&highlight=adhd+add

The fact your brother has been diagnosed proves nothing, the symptons for ADD are so broad and tenuous it can be attributed to any child behaviour.

Some of the symptons include fidgeting, looking out the window et.c which countless children do. Trying to combat these symptons with stimulant drugs is just insane IMO. I'm not saying your brothers condition is not a problem, but it could be a simple thing as something that's lacking in his diet, or something that can be solved with a psychologist, there are plenty of other methods to improve concentration.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with ADHD, and after his diagnosis and course of Ritalin he just became worse, as he had an excuse for bad behaviour all of a sudden, and he was constantly going up and down due to the effect and withdrawal of the drug. The condition should really be taken with a pinch of salt, and Ritalin is just bad news.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic to the OP.

ADD is an example of supply driving demand. A supply of new drugs can not create a large market share without also creating demand. Everytime a new drug is created it is promoted for sale.

I found the best way to remove symptoms of ADD is to find something that interests one. If one is bore stiff it is hard to concentrate. But if one is given something to do that they like, the ADD goes away. Maybe a good test for ADD is to allow one to do something that they really like, If they still can't concentrate maybe there is ADD.

ADD prevents the ego from concentrating on the task at hand. The unconscious mind seems to have its own agenda for the imagination and for the body. Maybe the ego could benefit by figuring out what is being said by the unconscious mind. This would focus the concentration of the ego in same direction initiated by the unconscious. Maybe something needs to be expressed within, i.e,, creative process.

We often are taught to beleive that only good comes from the exterior world. Learning comes from the exterior world but thinking and creating come from within. Sometime thinking and creating puts one in conflict with the exterior world.

Albert Einstein might have been considered ADD with respect to the "real world." He learned to focused himself on his inner drive to become a great father of physics.

• 2 weeks later...
ADD prevents the ego from concentrating on the task at hand. The unconscious mind seems to have its own agenda for the imagination and for the body. Maybe the ego could benefit by figuring out what is being said by the unconscious mind. This would focus the concentration of the ego in same direction initiated by the unconscious. Maybe something needs to be expressed within' date=' i.e,, creative process.

.[/quote']

okay then.....listened to my daydreams....found nothing....now what?

• 3 months later...
okay then.....listened to my daydreams....found nothing....now what?

then you either weren't listening hard enough, or you got bored and went on a tangent.

i'm sure i would be considered ADD, if i cared to be tested for it. i simply can't do homework, because no matter how much i try, i just don't want to.

but i'm not going to, because i know i don't have it. and even if i did, i wouldn't want to change it. i like my ADD-like problem, it's the last thread keeping me attached to doing what i want to do, to living the way i want to live.

also, i hate their drugs.

just becaues ADD is massively and falsely overdiagnosed, doesn't mean the whole disorder is rubbish. I've quietly watched a small kid with ADD 'playing' happily by himself, and he could not complete anything. eg he would decide to make a sandcastle, so he put one little spade of sand in a bucket, then turned the bucket over to leave a pile of sand which he didn't look at. Then he decided to draw a picture so he ran indoors and drew two lines on a piece of paper. Then he ran outside and went on the slide. Then put another spade of sand in the bucket. etc etc, this could go on for hours.