Essay Help Interesting Question...

Guest azores

Ok, I have this essay to write and I was wondering if you can give me some ideas for things to include in the essay...The question is "What is the role and Ethics in science discovery? How concerned should scientists be about what effects or uses their discoveries may have??" .... What is your opinion?:)

*AzOrEs*

And it probably should also read "What is the role of ethics in science discovery", didn´t it? There is an edit-button you can use to edit your posts.

Well, a few random thoughts:

- It is not always possible to see the full impact of a discovery from the beginning on.

- Sometimes, new inventions can be used for either the good or the bad. The easiest example is probably a knife although it´s not really a recent invention.

- There are so-called "ethical commissions". Some experiments (especially those involving experimenting on humans) need the approval of such a commission before they may be carried out.

- There´s always psychos who want to turn even the most humane discoveries into something unethical. We had a thread here lately in which some guy obviously read something about cancer treatment by destroying the tumor with radiation. He wanted to know how this could be turned into a weapon which doesn´t leave any visible marks on the victim....

- Ususally, new technologies that can be used for unethical reasons at least need a little bit of additional research to be turned into it. You usually don´t build an hydrogen bomb by accident.

- Some research like "how could a terrorist attack on the US electrical supply net deal the maximum of damage" should obviously not be made public. Yet, researching this -for example if you´re financed by the US goverment- can be quite interesting and even ethically good.

already got some feedback (thank you) but I was hoping to get a little more...maybe you can add to it...:)

Ok, I have this essay to write and I was wondering if you can give me some ideas for things to include in the essay...The question is "What is the role of Ethics in science discovery? How concerned should scientists be about what effects or uses their discoveries may have??" .... What is your opinion?

*AzOrEs*

Do you think that if you were to discover something new and someone used it for bad things, do you think you (the discover-er) should be blamed or the other person?

How concerned should scientists be about what effects or uses their discoveries may have??" .... What is your opinion?

*AzOrEs*

I see Science as an open door to discoveries. As such it is not a sin to search for the truth and therefore scientists can do no wrong by simply exposing the truth, (we are allways taught that the truth is correct)

The problems occur when the decision is made to act on a potentialy harmfull discovery but still it is not the DISCOVERIES fault.

Ethics is and negative results are only brought about when a person adds there own morality to the subject in question.