Fasterfox

ecoli

I don't use this (though I use firefox) and I cannot vouch for it's efficacy, but here is how it should work to increase browsing speed:

When you open a page, you probably spend a few seconds at least before moving onto the next page. You may spend many minutes. In this time, the browser begins to download all of the pages to which the page you are on is linked. In other words, if you have four pages of a news article, while you read the first, the second is downloading.

It may or may not download entire pages, images, sounds, etc. I don't know. let us know how it works!

I use Firefox, but seeing that I have a poor connection the use for a network tweaking software is rather limited.

Anyways, this is taken STRAIGHT out of the Official Mozilla Firefox Extension page:

Performance and network tweaks for Firefox. Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay. Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with the unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing. A popup blocker for popups initiated by Flash plug-ins is also included.

Oh btw it has an average of 4/5 star rating from the users.

Those sound like things that you can pretty much do in Firefox already. Type "about:config" into the address bar and you can change pretty much every option in there. You'll have to know which ones to look for. The popup blocker sounds pretty much like Adblock.

I just downloaded fasterfox, its supposed to "turbocharge" internet speeds. Anybody know how/if it works? fasterfox.mozdev.org/[/color']

It does work - its works quite well too :) I use it an another program, Firefox Preloader, and it works really well :)

If anyone needs Firefox helps I'd also be glad to help as best I can :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Those sound like things that you can pretty much do in Firefox already. Type "about:config" into the address bar and you can change pretty much every option in there. You'll have to know which ones to look for. The popup blocker sounds pretty much like Adblock.

Yeah, I remember a SFN thread on that subject. But I accidently screwed something up and had reset things..pain in the ass. The advice given was for cable modems...and I was on DSL, that was pretty stupid of me.