What is the best software for planning&carrying out experiments?

Guest skittles

Guest skittles

I'm new to the board. Hello all :D

Just hoping you experts can help me! What software do you all use for research? Is there a package that allows you to draw out an overview flowchart of an experiment with each stage of the overall experiment being it's own sub process? Can you assign tasks to different people and design forms for inputing results, which then, depending on the results prompt you onto the next stage? Do any programs offer metrics which allow you to see the progress of the experiment at any stage?

What software do the universities use these days? I've just started a very small business and am looking to find some software for my research and have no idea what software to buy!

Are there companies around that will come in and help you map out the experiments and the interface you need for recording results? Who are they? Has anyone had any dealings with them?

Thanks so much for ANY help you can give, Jess xx

I know an engineer who writes his own programs.

They are not very complex, only takes data from an input and logs it. Sometimes does a bit of math and maybe turns the input data into another easier to read form, but at the end of the day it's only really a data logger.

Guest skittles

Thanks guys.....but there must be some companies making specific software for the science market?!!:confused:

I'll keep on hunting!!...but let me know if you hear of anything!

Well yes there are programs made for the scientific market. But you need to be specific to get a specific program.

Because scientific programs can be quite specific people do program it themselves or hire other people to program it. Try looking on google and such.

Aspen is, apparently, THE chemical engineering software and is used in the design of factories and the like. although the license costs something like £30000 so its probably not the best of programs for home use. (it also requires a few beefy processors oodles of RAM an a couple terabytes of harddrive space.)

always wanted to use "oodles" in a sentence