Nobel 2005

Helix

So I think most of you are aware the 2005 Nobels were awarded and I wanted to know what you all thought of this years Medicine/Physiology winner(s)? This really refutes the old wives' tale about stress (something I believed up until now).

I heard most scientists didn't belive them about bacteria and ulcers and that it took quite a while for the community to catch on. It's sad that some of the major accomplishments in science (telomeres, hayflick limit, DNA to name a few) aren't recognized for some time.

Link: http://nobelprize.org/medicine/laureates/2005/index.html

Yeah, it is unfortunate that it takes so long for lay people to buy into things. Koch's Postulates were telling scientists for a long time that H. pylori was associated with peptic ulcers. The really sad part is that so many people have died of Gastric Cancer because of H. pylori infections, that could have been treated to prolong their lives.

-Clayton

My hat definitely goes off to Dr. Marshall who deliberately infected himself with H. pylori during his sutides.

"Dr Marshall proved that H. pylori caused gastic inflammation by deliberately infecting himself with the bacterium.

The Nobel citation praises the doctors for their tenacity, and willingness to challenge prevailing dogmas. "

Yeah I read that, in the Nobel interview the other scientist says "well no...I didn't eat it but Dr. Marshall did." Talk about being committed to your work. There's a fine line between genius and insanity and I'm pretty sure that's straddling it (which is good, science without risks is just a bunch of facts.)

• 2 weeks later...