Carbon Dioxide seperation into Carbon and Oxygen

bazzy

Hi Everyone

Been A while since i have been on this forum.

I have been looking at a new starship simulator game upcoming and that has got me thinking about oxygen reclamation in a space scenario.

in enclosed spaces like on the ISS they use Lithium Hydroxide to capture and remove co2 while using electrolysis to generate more oxygen. Now I understand that power consumption is an issue with thinking about this, however

If you where to capture and separate the C02 from the air then compress it to a liquid under cryogenic temperatures then as a liquid use electrolysis to break it down to Oxygen and carbon monoxide and oxygen then using Cryogenic Distillation separate the Carbon Monoxide from the Oxygen, then compress the Carbon Monoxide to a liquid and perform the same electrolysis process to separate the Carbon from the oxygen, again using Cryogenic Distillation to separate the remaining Carbon Monoxide from the Oxygen for further processing?

I may be completely missing the mark with the science here but could that work? I do realize this would be an extremely energy intensive process but if energy was in abundance could this process work?

45 minutes ago, bazzy said:

Hi Everyone

I have been looking at a new starship simulator game upcoming and that has got me thinking about oxygen reclamation in a space scenario.

in enclosed spaces like on the ISS they use Lithium Hydroxide to capture and remove co2 while using electrolysis to generate more oxygen. Now I understand that power consumption is an issue with thinking about this, however

If you where to capture and separate the C02 from the air then compress it to a liquid under cryogenic temperatures then as a liquid use electrolysis to break it down to Oxygen and carbon monoxide and oxygen then using Cryogenic Distillation separate the Carbon Monoxide from the Oxygen, then compress the Carbon Monoxide to a liquid and perform the same electrolysis process to separate the Carbon from the oxygen, again using Cryogenic Distillation to separate the remaining Carbon Monoxide from the Oxygen for further processing?

I may be completely missing the mark with the science here but could that work? I do realize this would be an extremely energy intensive process but if energy was in abundance could this process work?

While there are electrolytic reduction processes for CO2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrochemical_reduction_of_carbon_dioxide. none of them seem to yield oxygen. 

1 hour ago, bazzy said:

Hi Everyone

I think he want to electrolyze the liquid carbondioxide  itself. But this is not working because it is not conductive.

16 minutes ago, bazzy said:

How do you make it conductive?

There is normally a reaction involving a metal catalyst that can adsorb the molecule and make it easier to split into ions, which is what you would need for electrolysis. 

6 hours ago, chenbeier said:

But I don't think it's possible  to get

CO2 => C + O2 by electrolysis. Also with metal catalysts.

Agreed. I was referring to electrolysis processes involving CO2 such as those in the Wiki article, not to direct splitting into C and O.