The end of the world

julius2

Looking for some intelligent thought about this:

Been looking at online video's to update my knowledge about such things as the Big Bang, exploration in the universe, the concept of time etc.

I come back to where we are now. I am aware there is ongoing space exploration going on but on the off chance that all of this becomes fruitless what is the summary?

What we know for sure is this planet - the trees, ocean, animals, life, sun etc.  We are secretly optimistic that we will "find" something that will extend the reign of humanity in time. But as the years pass and there is a lack of any new discovery we are left with how special this planet actually is.

At the moment we have a leakage in human consciousness about looking to the outside universe and the vastness that entails. But if this option is closed off I predict we will take a closer look at our own planet. In this case we would have to consider the finiteness of resources such as oil and uranium which power us as people. As an intelligent species I imagine a gentle decline as we seek to use more sustainable resources. (Or there may be a more warlike history). And more global policies come in to play as nations work together to ensure continual survival.

In which case eventually life on this planet will end. Humankind didn't get to conquer space and the rest of the universe. In which case what would happen now? Perhaps the universe stops expanding and then starts to contract into an interesting state. And then who knows what happens next, is another universe born again etc.

And we are left wondering what this is all about. Luckily this is a big planet so we have a while to go. As an observer in the 21st century I wondering if anyone has thought of such an angle. Is there any intelligent thought about this? I am happy to be wrong about everything providing there is some logic.

(If anyone knows of a better forum in which to post this please let me know.)

On 4/20/2024 at 12:54 PM, julius2 said:

Looking for some intelligent thought about this:

Been looking at online video's to update my knowledge about such things as the Big Bang, exploration in the universe, the concept of time etc.

I come back to where we are now. I am aware there is ongoing space exploration going on but on the off chance that all of this becomes fruitless what is the summary?

What we know for sure is this planet - the trees, ocean, animals, life, sun etc.  We are secretly optimistic that we will "find" something that will extend the reign of humanity in time. But as the years pass and there is a lack of any new discovery we are left with how special this planet actually is.

At the moment we have a leakage in human consciousness about looking to the outside universe and the vastness that entails. But if this option is closed off I predict we will take a closer look at our own planet. In this case we would have to consider the finiteness of resources such as oil and uranium which power us as people. As an intelligent species I imagine a gentle decline as we seek to use more sustainable resources. (Or there may be a more warlike history). And more global policies come in to play as nations work together to ensure continual survival.

In which case eventually life on this planet will end. Humankind didn't get to conquer space and the rest of the universe. In which case what would happen now? Perhaps the universe stops expanding and then starts to contract into an interesting state. And then who knows what happens next, is another universe born again etc.

And we are left wondering what this is all about. Luckily this is a big planet so we have a while to go. As an observer in the 21st century I wondering if anyone has thought of such an angle. Is there any intelligent thought about this? I am happy to be wrong about everything providing there is some logic.

(If anyone knows of a better forum in which to post this please let me know.)

We will eat until the food runs out, the planet doesn't need to eat, so it will survive us; the end of the world will happen much later than we are late... 😉